-after-

plot- reader is struggling to adjusting to life, post apocalypse

word count- 1173

warnings- mentions of death, panic attacks

Rick- You wake up, gasping for air. You realize you were having a dream. It's already been 2 years but you're still having nightmares. Nightmares about what the world once was. When everyone lost their humanity. When killing a random, innocent person was the norm. When the dead roamed the earth. "Y/N?" you hear Rick ask. His voice is low and gruff. That's the one thing that stays the same. Ricks voice. His slight Georgia accent. The way it always stays low and rough. It's reassuring.

"I'm sorry I woke you up. Go back to sleep." you softly demand. He shakes his head and sits up and puts his arm around your shoulders. His bare chest touches your body sending warmth through you.

"It's no problem." he states. Just next door to you was Carl, a child who wasn't even having as many nightmares as you. In the room next to him was Judith, who sleeps soundly each and every night. It was no problem for her considering she was too young to remember anything. But not you. You remember everything. You remember the expression on people's faces when they were breathing their last breath, the way people acted around their loved ones when they knew they were bit. You remember how you were responsible for taking other people's lives.

"I just can't stop...these nightmares." you say. You hear a sigh escape his lips as you nestle further and further into his side.

"I know. And I'm so sorry."

"I just can't get these images out of my head. I remember everything," you explain.

"I do too." he admits. You look up at him and stroke the side of his face.

"Will we ever get past it?" you ask.

"Honestly?" Rick questions.

There was a moment of silence and that was all the answer you needed.

"That's what I thought." you state.

"But we have each other to get through it. You'll always have me." he says while kissing the top of your head and gently pulling you back onto your back.

Daryl- "Daryl how much longer?" you whine. The wind was blowing through your hair as it was to Daryl's also.

"Like 5 minutes!" he yells back. Your grip around his waist tightens as he pulls into your houses driveway. He turns off the motorcycle and helps you get off like he always does even though you're perfectly capable of getting off by yourself.

"I'll be in soon. I'm gonna take the dog out." he explains. You nod and walk in to put away the single bag of groceries. You go to put the pack of paper towels away in the storage closet and that's when you see it. The Angel Wing vest Daryl had during the apocalypse. You haven't thought about it forever. 6 years ago. That's how long it's been. For at least 3 years it hasn't crossed your mind. Your hand wavers over the vest and memories flood your mind.

"I'm back-" Daryl stops mid sentence when he sees you staring into the closet. "What are you doin?" he questions.

"Just found this." you state quietly. He walks over and looks at it. "Daryl," you start. He looks at you and waits for you to finish. "I was thinking, I haven't thought about it in awhile. And that scares me. I don't wanna forget. How could we? I just don't understand how some people forget the ones they lost. I can't. I can't forget the people we lost like, Jacqui, Jim, Andrea and Amy, Sophia, Beth, Tyreese, Bob and so many more. I don't wanna forget them." you cry.

Daryl empathizes with you and envelopes you into a hug. You inhale his scent as he rubs your back. "I think about em' everyday. Trust me, I do Y/N."

"Really?" you ask. He pulls away and looks at you directly into your eyes.

"Of course. I love you Y/N. Ya won't forget them." he reassures you.

Glen- "Y/N, what have you been up to?" Rick asks you while Glen runs circles on your back. Rick and Maggie and you and Glen were meeting for breakfast at a local cafe.

"I actually just got a job for journalism." you say smiling. When the world was recovered, and it took awhile, the group kind of went their separate ways. Rick and Maggie and you and Glen stayed in Georgia. Michonne went to California and last you heard, Daryl was going on a cross country trip with some girl he met.

"Wow! That's amazing!" they exclaim. You giggle softly and continue talking about random things. That's when you hear a siren. Your breathing increases and your hands become sweaty. You assume the worst.

"Uh-I uhm, I'm gonna go to the bathroom." you stutter while standing up quickly and rushing into the bathroom. You lock the door and lean against the wall trying to pace your breathing.

Knock Knock

Your eyes dart up to the door. "Y/N, open up." It's Glen.

"N-No, it's fine. I'm fine." you lie.

"I know you're lying. Open the door."

A sigh escapes your mouth as you unlock the door and Glen walks in. You must look terrible. Your hair is matted to your slightly sweaty face and your eyes are glazed over in panic.

"What's wrong?" he asks. "T-The siren. It just freaked me out. It still reminds me of.." you trail off. Glen understands and wraps you tightly in his arm, something he knows helps.

"Y/N, it won't happen again, okay? They found a cure. Everything is okay." he reassures you. "Okay? I love you."

"I love you to."

Shane- You and Shane were relaxing on the couch in your guys' apartment. You were watching a movie that you and your parents always watched. Shane didn't know that though. You tried to keep in the tears that were about to flow from your eyes. Without saying a word, you get up and go into your kitchen. In attempts to prevent the hiccups that were coming from crying, you held your hand over your mouth.

"Y/N?" you hear Shane ask. You quickly pretend you were getting a drink but fail and sink down to your knees.

"Y/N." he exclaims while rushing to your side. "What's wrong?" he asks. You shake your head.

"Hm?" he hums into your hair.

"I miss them so much. I miss my parents." you cry. You hear Shane sigh and stand you up.

"I know baby. I know. I'm so sorry. I can't do anything to bring them back, I wish I could but I can't. But I can hold you and love you. You can cry as much as you can. I love you."

You can't help but to look up at him with tears streaming down your face and kiss him.

Hope you liked this one
happy thanksgiving
Much love
-a.b