Ch 8

I answered the phone. "Hey, Mat! Wh-what's up?"

"Oh, nothing. I just felt like calling you; I'm bored..."

I raised my eyebrow from the confusion. "What?" That was all I could say.

"Let's just talk about...stuff..." he continues "How was life?"

"Um, normal, I guess. I'm currently enjoying the single life." I teased. We both put out a chuckle. I plopped down my bed and put the phone on speaker. I rested my head on my pillow and dragged my phone beside me, as if Mat was lying down at my side. "I wanna ask someone out though, but I don't know how." he sighed. "Huh? Wh-who will you ask out?" I gulped. There was no answer. It seems that he doesn't trust me that I can keep a secret. "I don't need to know anyways." I finally said. "Eh, let's just talk about something else, ok?"

We talked for an hour or two. The conversation was full of laughter and joy.

It was already 11:30 pm. I knew I had to get some sleep for tomorrow. "Hey, it's almost midnight. I think we need to go to bed. You know, school next day." I announced. "Alright, sleepy head." he replied.

Sleepy head?!

"Ugh, j-just go to sleep. Night!" I said lastly. "Night."

The next day, it was truly a bad start. The water was freezing cold in the shower, so I had to wait for a couple of minutes. The next problem was I couldn't find my bag. I searched everywhere: cabinet, behind the furniture, under the desk, just EVERYWHERE. 5 minutes later, I figured out it was under my bed, as usual. So, I was prepared to go to school, and by the time I stepped on the concrete pavements confidently, my shoes and pants got wet by the puddle of dirty water. I tried not to swear but it already killed me. I dashed across the house to get a new pair of pants. At last, my bad lucks have come to an end. I used my bicycle to go to school. And it took quite a while though.

"Ah! Mica!" a voice called. I looked behind and saw Amber, my friend who knows all the gossip and dirt around the whole school. "Hey, Amber. What's for today's paper?" I teased. She usually runs around all random people to tell everyone what's new. "Aye! This one is really good!" She takes a deep breath and screamed on top of her lungs "Claire's dating Mat!"

My eyes grew big. I was speechless. "Wh-what?"

"That's right! You were supposed to be the first person I should've consulted, but...you were the last."

Then...if she said I was the last one, it means she already told it to every student in campus! "Excuse me..." I ran through the hallways, searching again for Mat. "Mat!" I shouted. "Mat!"