Ch 2

I feel tired and weary. I didn't have much sleep last night, thanks to yesterday's agenda. I sluggishly pulled on shorts and changed my top. One thing pops up in my mind--not Mat, my parents.

My parents...where are they?

"Maybe they went somewhere far, and forgot where to head back." I thought. The doorbell rang, which awakens me. I darted through the door, hoping that it was Mat. I opened the door as excitement filled me.

"Hey, Monica!" Clair greeted. A part of me felt shattered into little pieces. "Oh...Hi, Claire." I responded with a sigh. She analyzed me for a brief moment, and soon figured out why I was acting like this. "Lookin' for Mat, huh?" she teased.

"Umm...I-"

"Don't hesitate, Monica. I know you want Mat to be with me." Claire added, making me admit it. I still won't do it, though. I'm suspecting that she...has feelings for him--no, I don't think so. They're just good friends, up to that limit only, which should apply to me and him too.

"Well? Let's go to the game shop thing, wherever you bought it." she insisted. "Alright." I replied, still overthinking about...everything.

A few minutes away from the shop, I saw a tall, looking man playing with his pet dog. It made me pause, and without knowing it, I gazed at them, cracking a smile. Claire looked at me, getting much irritated.

"Oh my gosh, Monica. Are you gonna stare at those strangers all day until they throw that dodgeball at your freakin' face?" She complained "If you don't want to buy your toy or whatever, then we could just spend some money on Starbucks or something."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Something made me wonder, my...uh...cat, Mittens." I said, scratching my head. "I haven't kept her in company lately, and I'm starting to feel bad about it. I-"

"Monica!" Claire screamed "Stop acting like a jerk! I..."

She sighed and apologized to me sincerely "Sorry, Mica. Sorry, I freaking don't know what I was saying. I got annoyed, I wanted to just..."

I  looked at her misty eyes and hugged her. "That's ok. I was acting dumb anyways." We both decided to buy an espresso and walked home. 

While we were heading home, I heard our names, loud and clear.

"Monica! Claire!"

I turned my back, no one. Looked from left to right, still none. I turned to the front and almost leaped of frightness when I saw Mat in my face. "Oh my gosh! Mat, do you want me to have a heart attack?" He chuckled softly "I got you this." He gave me a box that has sort of a controller symbol at the center.

"What's this?"

"You'll find out soon, once you've opened it."

I sigh and nod. I was about to say something, but Claire interrupted my moment. "Mat! Haven't seen you for like, a long time!" Mat greeted her and started building a conversation, without me. For all that time, I felt invisible, didn't bother to look at me. I got impatient and started searching what to stare at: the street, a fence, a tree, the birds. Gazing at them seemed pretty boring. A statement popped up in my head all of a sudden.

Claire and Mat seem to have a close-friend relationship, but she's my best friend and she would never want to leave me out of a conversation. Why now?

"Hey guys, wanna chill out at my place for a few hours? It's pretty dang sweet for a teen hang-out." Mat said, acting cool.

Claire and I turned our heads to look at each other. She reads my eyes "We would love to, Mat. I think it would be awesome."

"Great! Follow me."