(Part 60, It Says) Longest Grammatically Correct English Sentences

These are the 5 longest sentences in English literature, technically meaning they have to be correct. 

1) Thus it was not rare to find, on the Sunday, the tallboy on its feet by the fire, and the dressing table on its head by the bed, and the night-stool on its face by the door, and the washand-stand on its back by the window; and, on the Monday, the tallboy on its back by the bed, and the dressing table on its face by the door, and the night-stool on its back by the window and the washand-stand on its feet by the fire; and on the Tuesday...

This is kinda just a weird one. Like, maybe super old. Lemme reread the article xD. This is apparently a quote from Samuel Beckett's Watt. Basically, this sentence is about how "Mr. Knott" rearranges his furniture. Oh my gods. 

2) Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

This is something more like what I would write, lol. The trees, the great whispering trees that seemed to bend towards the boy as if bowing down at his meek, silent presence. Quote is from F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, hence the name found in the text. 

3)I milked the cows, I churned the butter, I stored the cheese, I baked the bread, I brewed the tea, I washed the clothes, I dressed the children; the cat meowed, the dog barked, the horse neighed, the mouse squeaked, the fly buzzed, the goldfish living in a bowl stretched its jaws; the door banged shut, the stairs creaked, the fridge hummed, the curtains billowed up, the pot boiled, the gas hissed through the stove, the tree branches heavy with snow crashed against the roof; my heart beat loudly thud! thud!, tiny beads of water grew folds, I shed my skin...

It may just be me, but this one doesn't seem correct at all. It's just commas and semi-colons, all accurately placed, I might add. I'm not sure I'd allow it as a sentence, but I hate the number four. So... Also, this is from Jamaica Kincaid's "The Letter from Home."

4) Considering how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down into the pit of death and feel the water of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the Mouth —- rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us – when we think of this, as we are frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature.

Whew, that one's long. I'm impressed by that. It's well written and most *looses British accent* ITS FREAKING AWESOME! Congratulate Virginia Woolf for her wonderful essay, coated with wonderfully penned words. 

5) But then they were married (she felt awful about being pregnant before but Harry had been talking about marriage for a while and anyway laughed when she told him in early February about missing her period and said Great she was terribly frightened and he said Great and lifted her put his arms around under her bottom and lifted her like you would a child he could be so wonderful when you didn't expect it in a way it seemed important that you didn't expect it there was so much nice in him she couldn't explain to anybody she had been so frightened about being pregnant and he made her be proud) they were married after her missing her second period in March and she was still little clumsy dark-complected Janice Springer and her husband was a conceited lunk who wasn't good for anything in the world Daddy said and the feeling of being alone would melt a little with a little drink.

Eh... I'm less invigorated by this. It's more of that old type of wording that I don't exactly love. Don't get me wrong, it is still a very long sentence, but it's not a super interesting or entertaining very long sentence. Either way, this is a sentence from John Updike's Rabbit, Run. Can't say I'll be searching for it, lol.

6) Bonus! Frank, frank Buffalo buffalo, had had Buffalo Frank frank frank Buffalo buffalo; Buffalo Frank had had frank Buffalo buffalo buffalo Frank, frank Buffalo buffalo. (24 words)

I know, I know. How can this possibly be a sentence. Well, here's the translation xD

Translation: "Frank, the forthright bison from Buffalo, had made Buffalo Frank (a man, also from Buffalo), apply postal markings to some other forthright bison from Buffalo; meanwhile, Buffalo Frank had made those forthright bison from Buffalo bamboozle Frank, the forthright bison from Buffalo." 

Well? XD I'm satisfied, that's for sure. Mostly because my lucky number is six and I managed to make six entries. Like a boss *dabs* 

 Like a boss *dabs* 

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-longest-grammatically-correct-sentence-you-can-make-with-the-words-buffalo-frank-and-had

http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/5-very-long-literary-sentences.html