48.5

* Eight years ago *

" I don't care if she's his mate, she will marry who I want her to and she will mate who I want her to!" My father yelled.

I opened the door to the closet I was hiding in near the den a little more to hear better.

" Phil, they're kids, you can't just -"

" I can," my father said," And I will."

" Her death has changed you, Phil. If she was still here -"

" But she's not!" He yelled," She died two years ago!"

Trent put his hands down. He was done playing nice.

" Phil, what you're doing is wrong." He said calmly.

" I'm the king, whatever I say is right, is right." My father said.

" Just because you didn't care about your mate, doesn't mean my son -"

My father had instantly sprinted forward and pinned Trent to the wall with his hand on his neck," I loved Adeline, you bastard."

Trent coughed, but smiled as he spoke," Funny, I didn't know people showed their love for their spouses by blatantly cheating on them and letting another woman give birth to their children."

My father slammed him against the wall again," I dare you to say it again, say -"

" Both of you please stop!"

I saw Greg panting, with his hands on his knees. He had just run into the room.

My father immediately focused his attention on Greg and let Trent go. Trent fell to the ground coughing.

" Well if it isn't the little bastard who is trying to steal my daughter away from me." He loomed over Greg.

" I'm not . . . " Greg suddenly looked in my direction, as if he noticed my presence," I'm not stealing her from anyone."

" Oh, is that right ?" My father asked.

" She's been mine since the moment she was born, so why don't you fuck off old man and just leave us be." He said.

Smack!

Greg fell the the floor after being punched by my father. My father was shaking, trying not to shift.

" You little shit -"

I run out of the closet before my father could kick him," No, please don't!" I yell.

He turned to me and his eyes stopped glowing," What are you doing here ?" He asked lowly.

I look at Greg on the floor," I -" I look away," I came here to see Greg, but you were fighting with Mr.Waters when I got here. I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to like Greg, father, I'm sorry."

" Wait, you like me ? Even after -"

My father turned to Greg," Shut up boy!" Greg looked away from him and into my eyes. My father turned back to me," Let's go, Rachel."

I looked back at Greg before turning around and taking my father's hand as he lead me out of their house.

" Cecelia was telling me that Greg and his pack would be a bad influence on you." My father mumbled," I should have listened to her."

" Dad -"

" You may not visit him anymore." He said as he turned to me," Am I understood ?"

I look to the ground to my left," Yes." I grit.

" What was that ?" He asked sternly.

" Yes, sir." I said.

" Good, now lets go home, Varian will be happy to see you. Maybe if you keep him occupied, you'll prevent him from going down to the dungeons to visit that whore he still refers to as his mother, and focus more on his responsibilities as a prince."

I said nothing as we continued to walk in silence through the woods.

587 words