36

As I made my way through the village, and back towards the castle - I think - I felt as though I was being watched.

Not monitored, like when my guards watched me and stayed out of sight until they were needed, but stalked. I could feel the eyes following me as I walked the mostly empty street, and I was sweating buckets.

I heard a sudden rustle behind me, and I swiftly jumped up and swirled around to see the figure of a small cat rushing across the road ten meters from me. I let out a slight chuckle before turning around and continuing on my way. Unfortunately, the feeling of being watched didn't go away after that.

I walked slowly and cautiously as if someone or something was going to jump out and grab me. I clutched the green gem that Dennis had given me tightly in my hand as I quickly glanced around.

It worked once, right, it should work again if I need it.

Sure, because that makes sense. You don't even know what it does.

I know that, let me stick to wishful thinking.

Before I could question my sanity after having a conversation with myself, I had entered the woods that surrounded the castle.

" Only a little father to go. What are you so scared of ?" I nervously say to myself to try to calm down.

" Well there's a lot to be scared of, Princess Regime." A girly voice says somewhere to my right.

I turn to see a girl, much shorter than me. Her eyes were a very dark brown and her hair was equally as dark.

" W-who are you ?" I ask, trying not to stutter. Under normal circumstances, I would not have been nervous enough to allow my fear to show, but it was beginning to get dark, I was tired, and the looming feeling of being watched hadn't gone away yet.

" I'm a maid at the castle. My name is Fea Cho, it's nice to -"

" What is a maid doing so far out in the woods ?" I ask.

She glances to her left quickly before looking back to me," I needed fresh air."

I look to where she glanced, only to see nothing out of the ordinary.

" Mmhmm." I make a skeptical noise," Yeah, I'm sure."

" Now let's get back before someone notices you left the castle." She nervously says.

" I left the castle hours ago with Corine. I'm sure they've already noticed by now." I mutter.

" All the more reason to get back." She says.

" Yeah, sure, whatever you want." I say as an expression of relief comes over the girls's face," But first, I have a question."

" Ask it quickly then." She says," It's getting dark."

" How did you know I was the princess ?" I ask," I remember telling my brother that I did not feel up to meeting any of the staff at the castle. So as a maid at the castle, you shouldn't be able to match my name to a face yet."

The girl looked at me with fear in her eyes," I - well - it's just that -"

I began to slowly menacingly walk towards her towards her," Spit it out, how do you know who I am ?"

" There you are, Rachel! I've been searching for you for hours." Evan's irritating voice cut through the woods.

I turned to see him, and another figure walking towards me," You shouldn't have wasted your time. I would have come back." I mutter.

" Don't lie, we all know -" Evan suddenly paused," Who's that next to you ?"

" She said her name was Fea."

The figure next to Evan continued to walk towards us, but Evan remained standing - as if he was paralyzed suddenly - twenty meters in front of us.

" Rachel, what are you doing here, it's dangerous." Varian's voice came from the figure.

" What's dangerous is the amount of ways I can come up with to kill myself in the hours of pure boredom that you've left me to rot in ever since you've placed me under - what is essentially - house arrest." I hiss.

" That isn't the argument here. You were not supposed to leave the castle." Varian says.

I clench the fist that is holding the green gem," It's not like I'm a prisoner! Why can't I leave ?"

" Because the king said so." Varian says," That is all the reason you need."

" It's also all the reason I get." I hiss," Just give me one other reason as to why I can't leave. I won't run away again -"

" Because he threatened the people you care about! If he hadn't, you would be miles away by now, are such extremes necessary ?" Varian says," Enough of this, we are going back."

" No, I don't want to!"

" Evan, take her back to the castle." Varian says as he picks me up and tosses me to Evan, who expertly catches me," I'll escort the maid back."

For a moment, Evan stared at Fea and Varian," Don't -" Evan says to Varian," Don't let anything happen to her."

Varian raised a questioning brow at Evan," Just who do you think I am ? I would never let harm come to any woman, especially one this cute."

Evan let out an annoyed huff at Varian's comment," Are you sure you don't want to escort your sister to her room, I'm perfectly capable of -"

" I can do it." Varian said with a smirk," Don't worry about this girl, just take Rachel back to the castle."

Evan looked intensely at Varian for a second before sighing and turning away," Whelp, I guess it's you and me again." He said monotonously before jumping above the trees.

Every time we emerged from the tree top, I caught a closer glimpse of my prison - I mean - castle.

Evan jumped up to my room's window and lazily dropped me on the floor of my room.

" Good night." He said.

" You -"

Before I could insult him, he jumped down from my window, and disappeared into the woods far below.

I stand up and brush myself off before opening my fist to reveal the green gem. I stare at it, as if in a trance for a couple of minutes before walking over to my dresser, opening my sock drawer, and burying it under a pile of unmatched socks.

I growl lowly as I stomp over to my bed.

" No need to be so rough!" I fall onto my bed and grab my pillow. I closed my eyes and my recurring dream ensued.

" Who are you ?" The girl asked.

I knew I would forget the conversation in my dream by morning, but I tried to remember, pick out certain points. The moment my eyes opened, this will have all simply been a dream.

1128 words