26

It had been hours of torture for Greg before his mother decided it was time for dinner and put the books away. She did give me a copy of the photo of Greg crying when he wet the bed as a joke, and I treasured that future blackmail as I put it in my shirt's pocket gently.

" What's for dinner ?" I hear Evan ask as he walks into the room being dragged along by the kid who ran out into the woods earlier. Not far behind them was the child's father, and presumably Greg's brother, who glared at me as he turned his nose up and walked indignantly into the kitchen.

I sat down at the table and my plate was loaded with more food than I could hope to eat. I looked at it with a grin as I began to scarf it down.

Someone cleared their throat, and I looked up from my food to see Greg glaring at me," We say grace before we eat."

" Fhats ofay, I'm not rehifious." I say as I chew my food loudly.

" You're in our house, you'll say grace, it's the polite thing to do." He growls.

Evan smirked at the vein that was popping on Greg's forehead," Look, she's not very cultured, you shouldn't expect this much from her."

" I didn't expect the low breed to even sit at the table." Greg's brother muttered.

" Hey, woah, only one verbal attack at a time. I turn to Evan," You shut up." I flick my hair over my shoulder as I turn to Greg's brother," And you . . . what was your name ?"

The man looked at me for a moment, as if asking me if I was serious, before saying through a clenched jaw," . . . Dean."

" Dean, I really hope you didn't just insult me a couple of seconds ago." I say.

" And what if I did ?" He squints his eyes.

" I'll have to teach you a lesson." I say.

" How would a halfer like yourself even attempt something so fooli -"

Before he could finish his sentence, my mashed potatoes had somehow landed on his face. His younger son giggled as Isaac broke into a fit of laughter.

" Lucy -" Greg is interrupted by Isaac's plate hitting his face resulting in meat slices beginning to slide down Greg's face, mixed with green vegetables, and bits of salad.

" Food fight!"

I looked to my left to see Evan stand up in his seat, ready to fling the plate of food at Greg's mother, but I jumped onto the table to block it," Evan, don't, you idiot!"

It was too late. The plate of food collided with my chest and my clothes were stained with all different sorts of food.

I looked up to see Greg's mother, who looked back at me with gleaming eyes.

" I'm so sorr -"

" My, this has been the most exciting meal in a while, wouldn't you say so, dear ?" She smiled from ear to ear at her husband.

He grunted and looked away," They're cleaning this up."

I sit up on the table as I slowly return to my seat," You're . . . you're not angry ?"