45

" Step away from the girl, Alpha Gregory Waters." Sage's mate, Henry, growls.

" What are you doing here ?" I ask as he pulls me to his side.

Henry lowers his voice to a whisper," Sage and I moved in here, and your father put me on the exterior security of the palace. Sorry for my behavior earlier, I didn't know." He coughs and turns to Greg," The king doesn't take kindly to kidnappers."

" Why would the king care if I take her, she's not his property, and she doesn't belong here. Tell him, Lucy!"

I glance to the ground.

" I don't know who you're talking to, but her name isn't Lucy, and she won't be leaving with you tonight. However, you are welcome to leave whenever you like . . . alone, that is. And preferably sooner, rather than later." Henry says.

Greg was staring at the ground in shock as Henry grabbed my hand to escort me back inside, only to leave me to the wolves. Literally. He just walked me right over to three Alphas, who were pretty deep in their own conversation, and left me.

I mean, I would have loved to have seen Sage again. I'm certain she is here, there's no way a control freak like Henry would let his mate have the freedom to choose whether or not she wants to go with him or not. Especially now that she's pregnant, I was surprised he was okay with letting her leave his sight.

" And what about you Princess Regime ?"

I shake my head and squeeze my eyes closed as I'm brought away from my thoughts. I open my eyes to look and see a man with shoulder length black hair staring at me.

Just try to politely figure out what this Alpha wants and try to leave discreetly right after. I'm not in a good mood.

I almost agreed with that until I realized that I was not the one who thought it. I mean, I was, but I was not planning on trying to be polite to anyone. And if I was going to leave, I was going to make a scene to have the person my father selected as my mate reconsider having me as their -

" Was this comment meant to be kept to yourself ?" His eyes gleam with mischief," If I'm annoying you, feel free to leave."

I look at his sun kissed face and then to his dark brown eyes," I - I . . . wait what comment ?"

" Well you said you wanted to leave, and that you weren't in a good mood, so I'm just saying: feel free to go at any time." He smiles.

I stare at the floor. God, this is why I hate nice people, it's so hard to be assholes to them.

" No, I didn't mean that, I just zoned out for a moment and I didn't know what you were asking me." I say quietly.

The other two Alphas laugh and one mutters," What an airhead."

The Alpha that was just talking to me almost instantly snapped his eyes to meet those of the Alpha who insulted me and glared at him.

I throw my arm in front of me and wave it up and down.

" What are you doing." The third Alpha, who wasn't involved in the staring contest asked.

" Cutting the tension in the air, it's suffocating." I say.

The Alpha who insulted me looks - begrudgingly -away first and the Alpha with the shoulder length hair turns to me with an apologetic look on his face," Sorry about that, Princess. Some people don't have basic manners."

" It's fine . . . " I trail off due to my lack of knowing his name.

" Oh, you don't remember." He says," Well, I can't say I'm too surprised, we were only kids when we met." He gently reaches for my hand and lifts it to his lips as he kisses it briskly," My name is Javier Roí, I'm the Alpha of the Silver Pack around the lower half of Texas."

667 words