Chapter Twenty-Four: Opal

Start from the beginning

"James, James," Eric said to slow him down. He smiled, fondly and kissed James' forehead, but he didn't lift his lips very far. He whispered, "It's okay. I know you love me. There was never any doubt."

"I don't care if we have a wedding..." James took a deep breath and managed a steady stare. He shook his head. "I'm done making plans Eric. I just want to spend my life with you in any way I can and I want..." James leaned up and spoke softly into Eric's ear. "I want you to mark me. I want to be completely yours."

A primal growl tickled the back of Eric's throat. It faded into a chuckle as he whispered against James' neck. "You drive me crazy, James in the best ways." James smiled and rested his head against Eric's chest. Little by little, Eric's mate warmed up. He chuckled, "You talk too much, but eventually you land on the right thing to say."

"Shut up," James said breathlessly, hitting Eric's chest before he broke out into tears again. Eventually, the rest of the wolves caught up and Eric met eyes with Elias. Elias transformed back into a human and he was in the roughest shape. He could only stand with the help of Eric's father keeping him upright. Without a word, Elias simply bowed his head.

Eric would deal with him later.

"James! James!" Delphine shouted the second they were visible from the road. She had parked on the side. It was a long endless highway between endless amounts of trees. James perked up and melted when he saw Delphine. She was already crying, "My darling!"

Forgetting about the snow and how she was still wearing her evening dress, Delphine ran to James. When she was close enough, James practically flew out of Eric's arms to embrace her. She stroked his hair, crying into the crook of his neck. "Oh, thank God. Thank God. Don't you ever do that to me again, you hear me? I'll die, James Connolly. I will just die. You're frozen!" She pulled back with her narrowed brow.

On that, Eric carried James back the rest of the way to the car. Peter was inside, ready with a new set of clothes. Eric's father said they would follow them and climbed into Frances' car, along with Elias, who couldn't get away that easily. The other wolves, whom he could not thank enough also started the journey back home on foot.

So, they started to drive with Delphine at the wheel. Peter sat in the front seat, but his arm was reaching back and holding James' hand. This was how Eric found out Peter was half Fae. Peter was gently healing James, a soft light pulsing between their magical hands. Izzy and Leo sat in the very back while James leaned against Eric's chest in the middle seat. Just holding James helped speed up the healing process for Eric's wounds.

Resting on top of the seat, Izzy stared at James. "We're so relieved that you're okay, you have no idea." Her dark hair was tied up in a ponytail and she wore clothes so simple, Eric didn't know she had them. She already had her arm bandaged. Alex was back at the Black Timber pack, acting as Beta and in-charge until Eric could deal with them.

"Thanks," James smiled. The point was to let him sleep, but Izzy wasn't very good at following directions. At least he looked comfortable in Peter's sweat-shirt and sweatpants. It made him smell like flowers, like Peter. Eric couldn't wait to get James alone. To mix their smells and wrap James in Eric's personal brand of armor.

"Yeah," Leo laughed uncomfortably. It's the first time Eric heard him speak today. He didn't even fight them when Eric said Leo had to stay at the car with Delphine and Peter.

Leo sat up too. "Eric might go back to the way he used to be, all grumpy and mean."

"Okay," Eric sighed. This was his least favorite game.

"No, he'd be worse," Izzy laughed.

"And that's saying something," Leo agreed.

Eric just sighed again. At least they were making James smile. Eric placed a kiss on James' head, moving his hair out of his forehead. His skin was glowing slightly orange like a sunset from Peter's magical influence. James' snuggled against Eric, grabbing Eric's arm and slinging it over his body. Eric chuckled a little.