Eric released him, spitting a mouth full of blood into the snow. He hadn't noticed before, but blood covered the snow in large revolting puddles and splattered the trees. He looked down at Laurence, listening for a heartbeat. He was met with silence.

In a flash, Eric transformed back into his mortal form and shouted, "ENOUGH!"

The wolves slowly stopped fighting. His family cornered the remaining Black Timber wolves. Eric clenched his fists, his skin buzzing. There was still so much power and energy coursing through his body that just wanted to be let out. He felt like an exploding star. His voice carried over the wolves, some were his own, most of them were not. No matter what, apart from his own father, the wolves bowed their heads.

He announced, "Your Alpha is dead. I will give you a choice just as I gave him. Submit to me and the Red Carnation Pack and you will be given a home. Reject me. Refuse to submit," he took a step forward, "Well, you better disappear or expect to share the same fate as your fallen Alpha. I will give you a week to decide!"

For a moment, the Black Timber wolves uncomfortably looked around. No one knew what to do first, but once one wolf ran, the others followed suit. Eric commanded a couple of the Gamma wolves. "Mitch! Carlos! Dispose of Laurence. Clear out his home. Spread the news."

And like that, they dispersed.

Eric looked down. He closed his eyes and tried to desperately control his breathing. Then, a cold, yet tender touch wrapped around his arm. "Eric," James whispered and Eric turned, meeting his teary-eyed mate. His cheek was swollen and while his eyes were pink, one was haloed by a dark purple bruise. He shivered, wrapped up in someone's jacket and the moment Eric noticed he wasn't wearing shoes, he gasped.

Quickly, Eric swept James off the ground and held him tight. He listened for James' heartbeat and suddenly, the tension in his muscles eased. James wrapped his arms around Eric's neck and they just held onto each other. Touching James just made it feel real. That the nightmare was over and James was really safe inside his arms.

"Eric," James whispered his name again and before he could speak, Eric kissed him. He kissed him quick with several greedy kisses before Eric held onto him again. James said, his voice trembling, "I thought- I didn't know if I was ever going to see you again-"

"I promise James, there's nowhere you could go that I wouldn't find you," Eric said, keeping himself from holding James too tight and crushing him. Eric sniffed, looking up to keep his own tears at bay. The relief flooded his head, putting pressure on the front of his face. He hated that his mate was frozen that he was soaking wet. He had to get James home.

"I'm sorry," James said quickly and Eric started to walk. He could sense his family behind him, itching to get closer. They were holding themselves back. They must have known Eric wanted space. Just for right now. He just wanted to be alone with James.

"Don't be sorry."

"But I am. I never meant what I said, that I didn't know why we were mates. I was just angry. That's all. Eric, you're-"

"I know."

"No, you don't understand." James leaned away, pressing his forehead against Eric's shoulder. He held onto his clothes. "Thinking about you, kept me sane. You are my heart, Eric Silva and I fall in love with you over and over again. When I'm with you... God," he gripped Eric's shirt tighter. "Everyone sees me as this Oracle or a matchmaker or an orphan, but with you... I just feel like James. I get to be James and that's enough. Life is no good without you anymore. It's tasteless and the color fades. I want to be with you all the time. I'm obsessed with the way you think and see the world and how you work so hard to make it a great and safe place for everyone, so-"