Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

"He is not lost forever, Esme," Gabriel said, his eyes contrite. "His soul will join us again. His sacrifice was his penance. And in his stead, Edward will assume Carlisle's Lordship, as his mate will ascend to become one of the legion, ruling by his side."

I blinked up, confused by his words. "But, I was banished ..."

"And you killed the threat, redeemed yourself in protecting Bella and sending Lucifer back to Hell," Gabriel murmured. "I'm sorry that your mate was nearly lost."

"If you'd had your way, she'd be dead," I growled, holding her tightly and pressing my lips to her forehead.

"She would be like Carlisle and her soul would have joined us at a later moment in time," he argued. "But, this ... you deserve this, Lord Edward." He waved his hands and I felt my body shudder. My wings shot out from my back and I moaned. The angelic powers morphed and they grew stronger. My wings, they were no longer charcoal gray, but a brilliant, blinding white. "Now, I must go. Take her back to your home, where she can complete the transformation."

"Will she remember me?" I asked. It had been so long since I had transformed into an angel or since an angel had been created. I honestly didn't remember, but my time on Earth probably didn't help. Gabriel gave me a tender smile, not answering and he shot off the ground, disappearing into the darkening clouds.

I picked up Bella, her body already beginning to change. Her muscles were becoming more defined and she didn't feel as light in my arms. She was more solid and not as fragile. I kissed her forehead, nuzzling her cheek as I stood up. I stretched my new wings and took off, flying us back to our home. Making my way inside, I laid her on the bed. Felix sniffed her and hopped up, whimpering quietly as he snuggled closer to her. His big gold eyes stared at me as I removed my armor, questioning what was going on. I rubbed behind his ears. "Things are changing, Felix," I murmured. "I don't know if they are for the better or for worse."

I removed her filthy clothes that were torn, burned and covered in dirt and ashes. I left them on the side, unsure if we would need them or not and held her in my arms as I lay in the bathtub. She was quiet, her face serene as I washed her pale skin. I could see the bruises and burns heal on her body. The most shocking marks were the ones on her wrists and ankles. Her skin was nearly black, nearly charred off. I prayed that she wouldn't have reminders of what had happened. "I'm sorry, Bella. I wanted to get to you. I love you. Come back to me, please?"

After cleaning us both up, I put her into the same silky nightie she wore when we'd made love the first time. I checked her back, seeing the formation of wings on her shoulder blades. When they poked through the first time, it would be incredibly painful. I would be by her side, every step of the way.

Outside of my room, I heard Alice, Seth, Charlie and a grieving Esme. They were all concerned for Bella, but they were staging her death. We would have to leave, but with all of the pain we'd experienced in Forks, it seemed like the best choice. We could start fresh. I could teach her the ways of being an angel, providing guidance and love to her charges, after she learned to love herself. But, hearing her whisper that she loved me in her dying breath damn near shattered my heart. She loved me. I loved her and I was going to have a future, a forever with her.

Edward, we need you, Esme thought to me, her voice so sad, but insistent.

"I don't want to leave her," I whispered, curling around her body. "I left her once before and look what happened?"

"Just for a moment," she said. I sighed, kissing Bella's forehead and leaving her briefly. I left the door open so I could still see her. I crossed my arms, arching a brow. "She'll sleep for three days, Edward. Riley had corrupted her mind, to an extent. It'll take time for her body to transform."