Chapter Eight: Age Eight

Arthur stared out his window at two in the morning. He couldn't get over Alfred saying he loved him.

After Alfred said it, Canice told him to stay over that night since it was getting late. So Alfred slept on the couch, Canice and Allie in the guest room, Seamus and Dylan on the floor in the living room.

The Brit sighed heavily before perking up once he heard a noise. Allistor stood in the doorway, "Yah okay?" He asked.

Arthur nodded slowly, "Yes... I just... Don't know how to deal with this..." He murmured.

The redhead walked over and sat next to him. "I understand, but do yah still love 'him?" He rested his arm on Arthur's shoulder.

The younger brother bit his lip, "I do... But I don't think I'm ready to take him back yet..." He whispered in a slightly fearful tone.

Allistor softly sighed, "Jest take yer time. No one is askin' yah to make a decision now. Wait 'til after Peter's birthday." He assured.

Arthur smiled slightly, "I guess you're right. Thank you Allie."

"No problem."

*****

The next day was the party. Peter and his friends were running around excitedly, chasing the bubbles. Arthur watched on with loving eyes.

"He's cute." Alfred said as he appeared next to Arthur.

Arthur nodded. "Yeah... He is..." He agreed with a smile.

"He looks a lot like you." The taller commented.

"He has your hair color and nose." Arthur added with a wistful tone.

Alfred chuckled, "But he has your eyebrows. The best part." He chided with a friendly nudge.

Arthur giggled before shyly looking away from the American's gaze. "Thanks... You know... For sticking around..." He whispered.

Alfred's expression softened. "Of course..." He carefully and cautiously squeezed Arthur's hand.

Arthur made no effort to move it.

Soon it was time to cut the cake:

"-Birthday to you~!" Everyone sang.

"Blow out your candles and make a wish!" Arthur urged.

Peter smiled brightly at his parents before excitedly blowing out his candles after a couple seconds to think.

Alfred grinned. "what'd you wish for?" He asked, placing his hand on Peter's shoulder.

Peter looked up with his happy blue eyes, "For mama and daddy to be together again and mama will live happily ever after!" He squeaked cheerily.

Arthur's eyes widened and he cast his eyes away from his son, feeling a little ashamed. The eight year old didn't realize how he made things awkward and frankly didn't notice.

Alfred and the other guests looked at the Brit with pity or sympathy. "That's a.... Lovely wish..." Arthur finally murmured.

Peter giggled and smiled at his mum. "Thanks mum! Thanks daddy! This is the best birthday ever! Oh! And you too Unca Mattie!" He hugged the Canadian whom hugged back.

"You're welcome buddy..." Matthew returned with a smile.

"GIFTS!! MEIN AWESOME GIFT IZ ZHE BEST SO JOU ALL MIGHT AS VELL GIVE IT UP!" Gilbert boasted loudly.

Arthur and his brothers laughed loudly before Dylan challenged him with their gifts.

Gilbert lost with his BB gun to Dylan's golden ancient coins that were collectibles.

"How could jou, Peter?!" Gilbert wailed dramatically.

Peter laughed and played with his presents.

Arthur stood off in the background watching with a small smile. Alfred walked up to him, "Are you okay?" He asked.

Arthur sighed and looked at him, "I don't know... Peter... What his wish was... I'm... I'm just scared..."

Alfred frowned, "About what?"

The Brit bit his lip. "I'm scared about what would happen if I let you back in..." He looked up with a solemn expression, "Would you leave again?"

Alfred shook his head and gave a lopsided smile, "I promise to always stay with you... Even if you don't want me to."

Arthur sucked in a breath before averting his eyes, "Then... If you want... We can... Try and make things work."

Alfred had a grin spreading wide, "Cool. Can I kiss you?" He asked.

The smaller blonde turned red in embarrassment before nodding. "Yes... You can."

With those words of consent... Their hearts once again beat to the same rhythm. Together they'll surpass all those daddy issues.