Chapter Three

SEAN

I'd rung the doctor's surgery after Felix and Marzia left and booked Emily an appointment. She didn't look too happy when I told her where we were going, but then again all little kids hated the doctors.

"Do we have to go Sean?"

Unbuckling her from the child seat Marzia had insisted I bought since we'd be driving places I put Emily on my side and sigh loudly.

"If we don't go they can't make you feel better. You want to be a big strong girl don't you Emily?"

She nods, "I guess, can panda and Sam come to?"

I chuckle and grab the plushies with my free hand before locking the car door, it looks like those two would be coming everywhere with us. After the doctors I intended to go down to the Police station, that part Emily didn't know about and I didn't quite know how she'd react so I kept it from her.

The surgery was pretty empty as I signed Emily in and we made our way into the waiting room, earning some odd looks from other patients and parents who obviously weren't use to someone with bright green hair carrying a child.

"Can I play Sean?"

"Knock yourself out, kid. I'll be just over here."

Putting Emily down she makes a mad dash for the kid's corner while I take a seat furthest away from the disapproving parents. Taking out my phone I see a missed message off Mark asking if I wanted to record some Prop Hunt later with him, Wade and Bob. I told him hell yeah, plus I needed to tell the three of them about Emily.

"Sean and Emily."

A nurse pops her head around one of the doors and I motion for Emily to come back over to me before we follow her out of the waiting room. The nurse opens another door and ushers us inside before closing it after us. In the examination room sat a middle aged woman typing away at a computer, I thought seeing a female doctor would put Emily at ease.

"Hi, you must be Mr McLoughlin and this little darling must be Emily."

I nod, while Emily hides behind my legs.

"Yes, we are. Err I kind of explained the situation to you over the phone doctor."

"Call me Rachel. Hello, Emily, who are your friends?"

Rachel crouches down in front of me and Emily with some reluctance moves from behind my legs holding her plushies.

"This is panda and Sam, they are best friends."

"They are very cute, now will you let me check you over Emily? Make you a big strong girl."

Emily nods and Rachel picks her up before plopping her down on an exam table. I take the free seat next to the desk holding panda and Sam.

"It appears that Emily is, in fact, malnourished and I can tell before even weighing her that she's not at a healthy weight for a child her age and height. Has she eaten anything at all while with you Sean?"

I chew my lip, "I made her some toast this morning but she could barely finish one slice before saying she was full. Is that bad?"

Rachel shakes her head, "being malnourished her stomach has most likely shrunk, so I'd stick with small portions of food before slowly making them bigger to help the stomach expand to being healthy again and then she should put the weight on."

Emily was zoned out, too busy staring at some stickers of butterflies and flowers on the wall. But hearing the facts made my heart hurt. Rachel continues her examination and my eyes widen upon seeing the marks on her back just like Marzia had pointed out, some looked new while others were faded and scabbed over.

"I'll prescribe some cream to put on these in order to stop any of them becoming infected over time. They should all heal eventually but Emily might have some scars from the deeper ones Sean. I can't believe parents would do this to a child, it's wrong on so many levels."

I take in all the information, and I find myself more determined than ever to give Emily the perfect life.

Around thirty minutes later Rachel was typing up the results of the exam into the computer. From being out in the freezing weather for at least a day Emily had developed a cold and was starting to develop a temperature, but Rachel said she'd prescribe me some medicine to help bring the fever down. All this information could be used against her old parents when or if the Police caught them, Rachel also explained this looked good on me if I did choose to adopt her.

Picking up the medicine from the pharmacy I carry Emily back outside and she shivers from the frosty wind whipping around us.

"Before we go home Emily we need to make one more stop okay?"

"Where are we going?"

I bite my lip and strap her into the car seat, this was the moment I was dreading.

"Err we're going to the Police station to make a report against your old parents."

"Are you getting rid of me, Sean?"

She clutches Sam to her chest and her bottom lip starts to quiver meaning I had less than a minute until the water works kicked in.

"No, I'm not getting rid of you Emily. Until we do this I can't adopt you. Do you want me to adopt you?"

The bottom lip stops quivering and Emily releases her death grip on Sam.

"Yes, a hundred times yes Sean. I love you."

Hearing those three little words come from her lips warmed me inside, "I love you too Emily."

Driving to the Police station I could still see Emily looked a little unsure, but after reminding her two more times about adoption she perked up and couldn't wait to get it over with.

Inside the station, we're seen by a female Police officer. I explain everything, showing her the folder from Emily's backpack along with the results from the doctor's exam. Unlike Rachel, I couldn't get a read off this officer which made me uneasy than it probably made Emily. The Police could easily turn around and still take Emily away from me if they didn't think I was fit enough to raise her.

Minutes feel like hours, but eventually, the officer finishes her one on one interview with Emily in another room. Emily runs up to me and throws herself into my arms wearing a big smile, hoping that meant good news.

"Well, Mr McLoughlin I believe that it's in Emily's best interests to be placed in your permanent care. Don't worry about her old family they won't bother you because we've sent out officers to arrest them."

The officer slides the adoption form across the metal table and I see that under witness she'd put her own signature, meaning all I had to do was change Emily's last name to mine and get her a new birth certificate.

"You won't regret this officer Hall, I'll take great care of Emily."

Officer Hall smiles, "call me Kate. I'll be in touch to keep you updated about the situation Sean. Now go and be a happy family."

Scooping Emily up I ruffle her hair and she buries her face into the crook of my neck. Now I was happy I didn't let Felix give me a ride home the other night otherwise Emily never would have come into my life.