Chapter Two

SEAN

Something or someone was poking the side of my face waking me up from a dreamless slumber. Blinking twice I realise resting my eyes on the sofa had turned into me falling asleep. My back kind of hurt from sitting upright all night, then the events came flooding back to me. It wasn't a dream, I had found Emily freezing to death on a park bench after being abandoned by her parents.

"Hello, Sean."

I turn my head to see Emily yawn next to me. I smile, lean over and ruffle her hair.

"Morning kid, I have a couple of friends coming over this morning."

I don't know what I said wrong but Emily's eyes widen and she dives under the blanket and starts to shake quite violently.

"You said you wouldn't hurt me...you lied to me..."

She was full on sobbing now and I was very confused, all I said was that a couple of friends were coming over.

"Emily, can you tell me what's wrong. My friends are nice, they won't hurt you and neither will I."

Emily's sobs die down but she doesn't come out from under the blanket.

"Mummy and daddy had friends come over, they liked to play with me but I didn't like playing with them. They hurt me, Sean. People are nasty."

I knew she wasn't talking about playing in a good way and it sickened me to the core. Felix and Marzia were the friendliest people I knew, I wouldn't have called them otherwise.

"Emily, my friends aren't like your parent's friends. They want to look after you like I do. Please come out from under the blanket."

A few seconds pass but Emily emerges from the blanket with red puffy eyes. I pick her up and put her on my lap before dabbing her eyes with the back of my sleeve to get rid of the tears.

"You're too beautiful to cry, Emily. If you ever get scared just know that I'll protect you."

She buries her face into my chest and I rub calming circles on her back. Then the doorbell goes and she tenses up again, she had some major trust issues when it came to people but I hoped I could change all that.

"Are they here Sean?"

I nod, "I'm going to let them in, who knows they might have brought you goodies."

Emily clutches onto panda and Sam as I place her back down on top of the blanket. Cracking my neck and stretching my legs I get up off the sofa and leave the living room.

Felix and Marzia stood on the other side of the door when I opened it. Felix looked tired while Marzia looked full of energy and very much awake, carrying a bag.

"Where is the cutie?"

I let the two of them in and shut the door, needing to tell them about what Emily told me.

"Marzia you might want to take things slow around Emily, she freaked out when I said I had friends coming over. Apparently, her parents use to have friends over and they played with Emily but Emily didn't like it if you catch my drift."

Both their faces drop. Marzia holds Felix's hand, "that's so awful and sad, the poor thing."

"Maybe Marzia should go in first Sean."

I agreed with Felix and Marzia took a deep breath before entering the living room. Felix motioned towards the kitchen and I follow after him deciding to put on some coffee and maybe make Emily and I breakfast.

"What am I going to do Felix?"

Felix leans casually against one of the counters, "you probably need to go to the Police and report the parents for child abuse. Then they'll probably take her away and put her into the system or something. She won't be in your hair much longer Sean."

I hadn't even thought about going to the Police, that was probably a smart move. We'd all heard horror stories of kids going into the care system and just getting abused by foster parents, or even worse not getting adopted at all. Emily had been through a lot for a four-year-old.

"I don't know man, she's been through a lot and it took a lot for her to trust me in the first place."

"So you'd adopt her then? I mean you said there was a form in the folder."

Adoption sounded like a scary thing as well, I was only 27 and had a hectic life with YouTube consuming most of my time. Raising a kid would be tough since I didn't have a girlfriend to help me out. But maybe just maybe Emily was worth all the added stress, I could make her life better and grow up myself at the same time.

"I don't know yet Felix. Would you like some coffee? Can you also put some toast in for Emily?"

Felix salutes me and sets about finding the bread, Emily needed to put on some weight.

"What did Marzia have in the bag?"

"A change of clothes and a few other things to make Emily comfortable. I guess it must be going alright in there since I don't hear screaming."

He was right there were no unusual sounds coming from the living room, then again I swore I heard the bathroom door close down the hall but I could have been imagining things.

~Time Skip~

Felix and I were sitting on the kitchen stools drinking some coffee and discussing some video ideas when Marzia enters the kitchen holding Emily. I nearly do a double take, it looked like Marzia had given Emily a bath and she was actually wearing clothes that looked warm instead of rags.

 I nearly do a double take, it looked like Marzia had given Emily a bath and she was actually wearing clothes that looked warm instead of rags

"I think I love you Marzia."

Marzia gives me a little bow while Felix scowls at me playfully over the rim of his mug. However Marzia then gives me a look that said she wanted to talk to me alone, so she hands Emily over to Felix who had Emily's breakfast in front of him. Marzia must have talked to Emily because didn't seem scared around Felix.

We walk outside the kitchen, "what's wrong Marzia?"

Marzia hums, "when I was bathing Emily I saw marks on her back, there were so many. She's also too thin for a child her age. I just want to hug her and tell her the worlds, not a scary place. Are you going to keep her Sean?"

So that meant she was abused by her parents.

"Felix says I need to go to the Police and report them, I can't just keep her and not do anything to put those vile people behind bars. Do you think I should take her to a doctor or something?"

Marzia nods, "yeah, they'll be able to help you understand what's wrong with her Sean and how you can better her life."

I raise my hands in front of me, "are you just assuming I'll adopt her? It's a lot of work for me to do alone Marzia."

She rolls her eyes, grabs my elbow and turns me around so that I'm looking into the kitchen where Felix and Emily were gabbing like old friends and he was able to get her to eat some toast.

"She's already changed in less than twenty-four hours Sean and that's because of you. I also think she loves that Sam plushie you gave her, she kept telling me about how he and panda were already friends."

Had I really affected Emily that much in such a short space of time? If so maybe this whole raising a child thing wouldn't be too hard after all. And if at some point I struggled I could rely on my friends and family to help me out.*