Ruins

Plinking echoes off the surrounding walls as tiny stones bounce across the water. One, two, three, four, fiv- Oh! Just four skips this time. This one should go further. I wonder if I can hit the wall with a skipping stone?

"Luke, get your a** over here." A deep voice bellows. "We need to leave soon. We'll come back in a few years."

"Ok, just one more toss." I call out. I look around and find the perfect stone. Nice and smooth, it should go far. Right next to it is a coin of the city. Grabbing both, I examine the coin.

"Hey North. I found a coin. Should we come back and search for more later?"

"Nah." He replies, his voice getting closer. "Nobody will find this place. It's been a thousand years, I doubt anyone's searching anymore. Besides, everyone outside the city knew to get rid of any evidence. I bet it's just a legend to them now."

I toss the coin in my hand feeling the familiar weight. "You're probably right. It's sucks though. I really liked living here."

North snorts and shakes his head. "You only like it because they have cocoa beans here."

"What!" I place a hand on my chest, feigning hurt, "I would never base my residential preference off of such frivolous things as beans."

He rolls his eyes and looks at the water now covering half the city. A flicker of sadness crosses his face before returning to his usual scowl. Even if he deny's it, it's easy to see he misses this place.

I watch as he shakes it off and searches for a stone. "Alright. Let's see who can skip the farthest, then we'll go home."

I grin at him and ready my stance. "What do I get when I win?"

"The usual." He says tossing a stone in his hand. "It doesn't matter though. I'll win the favor anyway." He smirks as he moves next to me.

"We'll see baby brother." I grin.

He counts off and we both swing and arm back before letting go.

"Oh sh*t!" I yell as the glint of gold bounces off the water.

"You sh*thead!" North shouts and a heavy hand smacks the back of head. "Now we have to find it. It better not have gotten out of the cave."

"Relax North. The entrance was sealed ages ago. I'm sure nothing can even get in let alone out." I'm not sure which of us I'm trying to reassure. Me or him.

"Let's just find it. We can't have anyone finding this place." He grunts as he strips down to his underwear.

Three hours later we've found many pieces of gold worn down by the water and salt. Our coin is gone, but we feel a little better knowing that if anyone found it every identifier would be worn off.

"F*ck. We need to get back. We'll let the team know, but I'm not to worried." North sighs as we climb back up to the ghost city. "It doesn't look like anything but algae can get in here."

I nod and push my hair out of my face. We both gather our things and turn to head back down the tunnel we escaped through all those years ago. I turn back and look once more. Even though we are submerged deep in the ocean, a breath of air lifts through the cavern. I shiver as it whispers past me and I can tell. I don't know when, but just know. Fate has something in store for us.

*****
Hey!

So of course Luke misses the cocoa. ;)

One more in the boys POV. What do you think?

Next chapter we will see Sang. :)

Till next time,
BijinMum.