Lone Wolf

Jake and I both stop at our house and get clothes before we run all the way back to the Cullen's.

"What are you doing here?" Jake asks when I catch up to him.

"I'm not gunna stand around and watch Bella get killed. She's my family, I'm not going to let them hurt her," I say. Jake gives me a look of understanding. All of the sudden a twig snaps. Both of us whip around to see what it is.

"Whoa. Don't worry. They're not following us," Seth says when he catches up to us.

"What do you think you're doing here?" Jake asks.

"I left Sam's pack," he says.

"Go home Seth," I say.

"I won't stand behind him," he says.

"Oh, yes, you will," Jake and I both say.

"I'm not kidding, get out of here," Jake says.

"Is that an order? You gunna make me bow down too?" Seth asks.

"I'm not ordering anyone," Jake says.

"Look, we're just going off on our own here, okay?" I say.

"Great, and I've got you back," Seth says with a smile.

"No you don't," Jake says, "If Sam comes after Bella, are you really ready to fight your own brothers? Your sister?"

"If it's the right thing to do," he says.

"Whatever," Jake and I say.

"I'm gunna go give the Cullen's a heads-up," Jake says, "Do what you want."

Seth smiles and says, "How cool is this? Three-man pack. Three against the world. The three musketeers!"

"You're getting on my nerves, Seth," Jake says as we walk down the mountain.

"I'll shut up. Can do," Seth says.

"Shut up Seth!" I say.

"Get ready," Jake says using his shape-shifter hearing.

"They're coming for Bella," I say.

"They're not gunna touch her," Edward says.

"Agreed," Jake and I both say. We all nod in agreement.

"Man, I can smell them from all the way out here," Leah says as she walks up to us.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Jake asks.

"I'm not gunna let my little brother get himself killed," she answers.

"Go away, Leah! I can take care of myself," Seth says.

"That you think so proves you need a babysitter," Leah says.

"Okay, would the both of you shut up?" I say.

"Stole the words right out of my mouth," Jake says with a smirk, "Did Sam send you?"

"Sam doesn't even know I left," Leah says. All of the sudden, a bunch if howls sound.

"I think he just figured it out," Seth says.

"Jake. I know what his plan is," Leah says.

We all look at her in shock. Leah tells us, and Jake and I head inside to tell the Cullen's. Apparently I'm Beta, and Leah's third-in-command.

"Sam's lost the element of surprise," Jake explains, "And he doesn't want to take you on outnumbered, so he's not gunna come at you head on."

"He's got the place surrounded and he'll wait for his opportunity," I say.

"He won't get through without a fight," Emmett says.

"No fights. We won't be the ones to break the treaty," Carlisle says.

"The treaty is void," Jake says.

I finish his sentence, "At least in Sam's mind."

"Not in ours," Esme says.

"Carlisle, no one's hunted for weeks," Emmett says.

"We'll make do," Esme says.

"You've both done us a great service. Thank you," Carlisle says to us.

Later in the evening, Jake and I head back outside to do a perimeter run. We stop at the river that separates the Cullen's land from what used to be our land. Leah is with us.

"I know they're out there somewhere, but I can hear them anymore," Jake says.

"It's so quiet," I say.

"I stopped hearing them, too, the second I decided to leave," Leah says.

"It's nice not having your head crammed with everyone else's thoughts," I say.

"You know you can't stay here," Jake says to Leah and I.

"But I don't have any place..," Leah starts.

"Neither of us do, Jake!" I say.

"I can't trust you with the Cullen's. You hate them too much. You don't even like me," Jake says to Leah.

"I don't have to," Leah says.

"We just have to follow you," I say.

"Look, Seth doesn't want you here, Leah, and neither do I," Jake says.

"Being unwanted isn't exactly a new thing for me," Leah says.

She walks away, but she stops, turns around, and says, "Look, I'll stay out of your way. I'll do whatever you want, except go back to Sam's pack and be the pathetic ex-girlfriend he can't get away from. You don't know many times I wished I could imprint on someone. Anyone."

"Just to break the connection," Jake says.

After a moment of thinking, he sighs and says, "All right. I'm gunna finish the perimeter run. You both got my flank?" Leah and I both nod. We take off, me on his right, and Leah on his left.