Graduation

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like astronaut, president, or in my case, princess.

When we were ten, they asked again and we answered: rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist.

But now that we've grown up they want a serious answer. Well how about this: who the hell knows?!

This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love - a lot. Major in philosophy - because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind, and change it again, because nothing is permanent.

So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be... we won't have to guess. We'll know," Bella's friend Jessica ends her valedictorian speech. Everyone applauds.

**Later at the party**

"This is cheesy," I say to Bella when we walk in the door of the Cullen house.

"What the hell," she says.

Bella and I are talking to her friends, when I spot Jake, Quil and Embry.

"Excuse me," I say politely.

"Hey pipsqueak!" Jake says.

"Shut up," I say. I give Embry a quick kiss, to keep girls off of him.

"What are you doing here?" Bella asks Jake when she walks up.

"You invited me, remember?" he asks.

"Was my right hook to subtle for you? That was me uninviting you," she says.

"Look Bella, I'm sorry. About, you know, the kiss, your hand... I'd blame it on the whole inner animal thing, but it was really just, me, being an ass," Jake says. "I'm really sorry. But I brought you something. A graduation present." He digs in his pocket, and pulls out a charm bracelet with one charm on it, a wolf. "Made it myself."

"Wow. You made this?" she asks. He nods. "It's really pretty. Thanks."

She looks up at Alice walking down the stairs, when she suddenly stops and looks like she's in a trance or something.

"I'll be right back," Bella says before she pushes past us, and I follow her toward Alice. "Alice what'd you see?"

"The decisions been made," she replies.

"What's going on?" Jake asks them.

"They're not going to Seattle?" Bella says.

Alice shakes her head, and says, "No, they're coming here."

Jake, Quil, Embry, Alice, Bella and I gather the rest of the Cullen's up, and we go to an empty room upstairs that no one with think if going into.

"They'll be here in four days," Alice says. I'm clutching onto Embry's hand, like nothing else mattered.

"This could turn into a blood bath," Carlisle says.

"Who's behind it?" Edward asks.

"I didn't see anyone I recognized. Maybe one," Alice replies.

"I know his face. He's local, Riley Beirs," Edward says, "He didn't start this."

"Whoever did is staying out of the action," Alice says.

"They must be playing with the blind spots in your vision," Carlise says. Jake is looking around at them all like they're crazy.

"Either way, the army's coming, and there's not enough of us to protect the town," Jasper says.

"Hold up, what damn army?" Jake asks.

"Newborns, our kind," Carlisle says.

"What are they after?" Embry asks.

"They were passing around Bella and Shelby's scent, a red blouse, and a black tee-shirt," Alice says.

"They're after Bella and Shelby?" Jake asks, getting protective of both of us, "What the hell does this mean?"

"It means an ugly fight, with lives lost" Carlisle says. Jake looks at Embry and Quil. They both nod.

"We're in," he says.

"No," Bella and I say at the same time. My grip on Embry's hand getting tighter and tighter.

"You'll get yourselves killed, no way," Bella says. I keep my mouth shut, because if I didn't, I know I would say something that I would regret later.

"I wasn't asking for permission," Jake says.

"Well you're gunna damn well need mine!" I speak up.

"Edward?" Bella says.

"It means more protection for you and Shelby," he says.

"Jacob, do you think Sam would agree to an understanding?" Carlisle asks.

"As long as we get to kill some vampires," he replies.

"Jasper?" Carlisle asks.

"It'll give us the numbers. Newborns won't know they even exist. It'll give us an edge," Jasper says. Jake has his signature stupid smirk on his face.

"We'll need to coordinate," Carlisle says.

"Carlisle, they're gunna get hurt," Bella says. I don't even know why she tries, none of them are going to change their minds.

"We'll all need some training. Fighting newborns requires knowledge that Jasper has. You're welcome to join us," Carlisle says.

"Alright, name the time and place," Jake says taking a step forward.

"You don't know what you're getting yourself into," Bella says to him.

"Bella, this is what we do. You should be happy. Look at us, working together. You are the one who wanted us to get along, remember?" Jake says.

He's in a bitch mood tonight! Damn!