Dinner With the Blacks

"I'm gonna go call Jake, you okay?" Bella asks.

"I'll be fine, go make sure Charlie doesn't burn down the house! I'll start unpacking," I say. I push her out the door, and shut it.

I open the boxes and suitcases all over my room. I make my bed with the sheets and duvet that I brought with me. I hang all my clothes in the closet, and put my socks, underwear and bras in the dresser drawers. I set my laptop on the desk, and plug it in. I put all of my things away, and plug my phone in.

I hear the doorbell ring, and I yell, "I'll get it!!"

I slide down the banister like I used to. I open the front door, and see an extremely tall, buff teenager, and an older man in a wheelchair.

"Shelby?" the teenager asks.

"Yes, why?" I ask, right before he scoops me up in a big bear hug.

"You don't remember me do you?" he asks. I shake my head slowly before I remember Jake and Billy.

"Jake?" I ask. His smile grows. "Billy?" He nods. I give him a quick hug. "Charlie's in the living room."

"Thank you, nice to see you again Shelby," Billy says before wheeling himself away.

"You too Billy!" I say.

"When did you get here?" Jake asks as he walks in the door, and closes it behind him.

"About an hour and a half ago. What happened to the short lanky kid I used to make mud pies with?" I ask.

"He grew up," he says. He puts an arm around my shoulders, and I loop am arm around his waist.

"I guess so! You like what? Six foot now?" I say.

"Probably," he says.

"Let's eat, it smells good!" I say before dashing into the kitchen to grab a plate.