Bloodlines

The car smelled thickly of leather, leather and off brand cologne. I thought a man with more money that he knew what to do with could actually buy the real stuff- but somehow, this suited Damon. It seemed to go hand and hand with the old sports car.

"I thought you were supposed to protect her." Damon said, glancing away from the long stretch of road that was in front of us. The engine hummed and hair hung thick, cold from the constant blast of AC.

"She was with Stefan." I spoke softly, pushing my head against the window. The glass was warm, something that didn't aid towards the headache I carried. "I'm lucky you were there to help her."

He stared at me for a few shocking moments, his hair falling into his gaze. I didn't understand his sudden acts of heroism; saving Elena from a flipped car being one of those moments. It had overturned a few hours before- Damon's sudden urge to do good being masked by him kidnapping the unconscious girl.

I wasn't sure why he had her, but he would never give her up. Not to me or Stefan. So I relented, getting in the car with him before he did something stupid and drove her over more than a few state lines.

"She's going to be furious with you." He spoke, voice like gravel.

"Why is that?"

"Because she knows."

I stopped pressing my forehead against the window, my eyes widening slightly as he nodded briskly. My mouth was dry and tasted of metal from my last meal, a quick one that was interrupted by a knock on my door.

"Is that why you wanted me to come along?" I scoffed, "To watch this blow up in my face?"

Elena grumbled as she shifted in the back seat, Her eyes fluttering slightly as I spoke with intent. My own gaze was trained on the rearview mirror, a dark brown stare hitting mine as she sat up quickly- pulling air into her lungs with a bit of a start.

The girl winced in pain, something that saddened me to see. She was scared, a long hardened cut caked with dried dirt and blood split against her temple, a few other bruises forming on visible skin. She was panting, fingers searching around Damon's leather seats as I watched her carefully- not able to make a move as her gaze turned to malice.

"Where are you taking me?" She hissed, feeling her jean pockets for her phone. "Forget it. Stop the car."

Damon gave me an odd glance, one out of curiosity and maybe even approval. I just shrugged my shoulders- not exactly sure where to take this. He let out a thick sigh and eventually pulling his old car along the side of the road.

Elena quickly opened the door, once again feeling the pain of the accident she had just been in. The air was hot along the highway- asphalt reflecting the heat as she slammed the door behind her and started walking the way we came.

"Better go get her," Damon said.

I wanted to protest, but I knew she wouldn't listen to Damon. At this point, I wasn't even sure she would listen to me. These past few weeks had been fine between us, but then Logan came back, and from what I could tell- Stefan didn't cover his tracks very well.

"Elena!" I said as I slammed my own car door behind me. She huffed, stumbling over her own feet a bit as she continued to walk, not even turning back. I stopped for a few seconds- letting out a sigh as she trudged forward.

Having enough of this, I flashed forward, the girl running right into me as she let out a startled cry. She was quick to try and pull away- but I held her elbow gently, her strength not up enough to fight me back on this.