Haunted

The Salvatore house was bathed in sunlight, everything about it warm during the day despite the large velvet curtains. They blocked out most of that natural light, but still kept the warmth that it provided.

I had to admit, the liquor that was in my system paired with the comforting atmosphere of the study that we all lounged in was close to lulling me into a comfortable sleep. If it weren't for Vicki grumbling every three seconds about something new I would be perfectly content.

Stefan had taken over when it came to her. I didn't really have the patience to be a babysitter, and he wanted to start her on his almighty animal diet. It worked for him, and that was something to be prided on, but I had always needed something stronger.

I flipped through the aged copy of "The Call of the Wild" once more. I had read through most of Jack London's works before but was always drawn back to this novel. It was taught in schools nowadays, which made it easier to find an excuse to page through the story one more time.

"I don't know why I can't have people blood," Vicki grumbled, drawing my attention away from the words as Stefan rolled his eyes.

"Yeah Stef, why can't she have people blood?" Damon was on the chair opposite of me, writing down notes about God knows what. His pen was loud against the paper, his main focus on the book about land to his side.

"Because it's dangerous," Stefan explained for the hundredth time today. Both of them were like children, aiding each other in exactly what they had been over a hundred time. "Right Rowan?"

"Hmm," I shook my head, more interested in the paragraph that I was on than anything that had to do with this situation. No matter what opinion I carried they wouldn't listen anyway, so I kept quiet.

A loud knock at the door broke the fuming argument that I'm sure would break out at any second. Neither of the brothers made a move to answer it, both of them content on staring angrily at one another. Vicki just shrugged my way.

"I guess I'll get it?"

No answer.

I stood, walking down the long set of stairs that lead to the extravagant foyer. This place was used as a boarding house once; many of the rooms were left untouched while the study lay fully stocked with source material from different time periods.

The door hinges creaked loudly as I opened the large mahogany structure. Raising my eyebrows as a confused Elena that stood there. She looked like she was ready to turn away from the house in general. Just like the night we told her what we really were.

"Elena," I lifted my chin, "To what do I owe the pleasure."

"You um," She cleared her throat. "You went radio silent after what happened the other night. I wanted to make sure that everything was okay."

"Ah," I knit my eyebrows together. "The getting shot in the chest part, or the part where you told us both to kindly step away from your life."

She scoffed, stepping past me as she walked into the long hallway. Her shoulders were squared as she stood her ground. I closed the door and crossed my arms over my chest- facing her with a lifted chin.

"You haven't been at school." She said, stepping close to me. "Neither of you,"

"I'm sorry," I let out a small sigh, running a hand through my hair "I've been here. Helping with Vicki."

"No, she hasn't," Damon spoke as he walked past the two of us. He grasped his jacket, heading out to do something neither of us questioned about. "She's just playing hooky"