Friday Night Bites

The room was a small one, hidden behind a bookcase like in the old movies. It could have been based off one of those old films, the house being built well before cinema was developed. It was painted a deep yellow, most of the wall covered in maps and a few cork boards.

A mahogany desk rested in the corner, papers and bills scattered across the surface, a small table lamp giving some light to the otherwise dark room. on the other corner there was a long freezer, painted black and filled to the brim with blood bags. That's what I was after, not the hundreds of memories that rested with the clothes and books stored in here.

The bag was cold in my palm, filled with a syrupy liquid so red that it was almost pitch. I ignored the pain that pressed against the back of my eyes. Even I had a bit of composure. It was more than possible to drink the blood cold, but undesirable as well.

The shelf groaned as it closed behind me, my main focus on getting to the kitchen. It was only a few steps away, the space to my left a large living room that held a dark mahogany table and a leather sectional. A flat screen television was off, something that was usually the case. The kitchen was to the left a granite top island sat in the middle of dark wood cabinets and a stainless steel stove.

I grasped a mug from the top shelf, raising the plastic of the blood bag to my lips. It tore open easily, the strong metallic smell pressing against my lungs as I let the liquid slowly drip into the glass. It as easy enough to throw the bag away, the microwave giving off a small buzz as I let out a small sigh.

This house had been foreclosed on a few months earlier, something that was easy to buy and simple to walk into. The whole vampire things had it's limitations and walking through doorways uninvited was one of them.

A small beep moved through the house as I pulled the warm mug from the microwave. I was quick to move it to my lips, the blood warm and savoy against my throat. The pressure under my eyes eased, a burning in my stomach quickly soothed. A knock at the door made the liquid catch in my throat, a small cough forming as I pulled the mug away.

I was quick to dump the rest of the blood down the sink, running the faucet for a few seconds before making sure all the red was away from sight. The outside air was cold against my skin as I opened the door, Elena standing in front of me.

"Good morning!" She smiled at me, a backpack slung over her shoulder "I'm sorry for bothering you so early."

"Don't worry about it," I chuckled, moving my thumb against the side of my lip, hoping to god that I hadn't left any blood for her to see "Come in"

I stepped aside, getting a wary look from Elena as she walked into the house. She looked around, her eyes moving up to the long rafters of the ceiling, eyes stopping at the landing that was the destination of a long staircase.

"Whoa, your house is..."

"Like a cabin?" I mumbled, shutting the door "Too big for my own good."

"Your parents aren't here yet?"

"Not yet," I let out a small sigh, grasping my backpack from the edge of the couch. "They're still in North Carolina finishing up some research."

She nodded, biting her lip as she looked around a bit more. She was rocking back and fourth on her heel's, her eyebrow raising as she glanced back at me.

"Elena, spit it out." I said with a small chuckle.

"Will you join cheer with me?" She asked in a fast pace, the words seeming to spill out "I know you're new here and all and it's a lot to ask, but I don't want to start all of this up again alone and-"