Isobel

The scent of cheap paint was heavy in my lungs, reminding me of a craft store, or even a kindergarten room in the middle of the public-school system. The cafeteria was filled with people, painting different signs with neon colors.

I had never seen a town so invested in community. It was a good change of pace- everyone working together to get to one common goal. The founder's day parade coming up sooner than any of us expected.

It had been almost a year since I moved here, the months nearing towards summer and rounding themselves out. I had made friends and fought enemies, but right now; all of us painting a different variation of the same poster.

"So these are the specs from the history department." Alaric said, circling the table as he handed out papers. Tyler gave an unamused look as he messed with the corner of his paper. "You'll be recreating the battle of willow creek. Tyler's been nominated as head of the production design."

"By who?" Tyler scoffed.

"By me." Rick leaned heavily against the edge of a nearby chair. "Look, I've seen your sketches. You're good. Pick a team, and get it done."

He glanced up then, spotting Elena talk to a few people outside of the café doors. He touched my shoulder slightly, lifting his chin towards the door. Matt let out a thick sigh as he sat back in his chair, taking notice of the little interaction.

"You want to help me with this?" Tyler searched my face, hopeful.

"Not really," I stood, the chair legs scraping against the linoleum floor. "No."

He snorted as I followed Alaric from the room. He had isolated Stefan and Elena by now "Come with me, we need to talk."

Stefan shrugged my way as we followed him to a classroom. A small "M" was glued to the door, this being an English room for some freshman teacher named Monroe. Rick was leaning against the desk, drawing in a thick sigh as he instructed Elena to sit down.

"What's with the secrecy?" I asked, closing the door lightly behind me. "People are starting to spread rumors."

"I saw Isobel last night." Mr. Saltzman said quickly, halting all of the movement in the room. Elena pausing the point of digging her nails into the desk that was in front of her. I realized quickly why Rick had instructed her to sit, my own mind racing to the point of wooziness.

"Isobel's here?" I asked "In town?"

My eyes moved back to Elena as I gulped down some air. She looked pale, sickly if anything. Stefan wanted so desperately to go and comfort her, but he was rooted to his place, eyes aimed at the floor.

"She wants to meet Elena." He sighed, "A public meeting at the grill."

"Absolutely not." I said, objecting before anyone else could. "She's dangerous."

Elena swallowed roughly, "She will be if she doesn't get to meet me."

I messed with the edge of the book page, the soft material of the parchment distracting me from my usual habit of biting the edge of my nails. I was nervous, throat dry. Everything was staring to weigh on me. Isobel, John, the tomb vampires. Everything.

Elena let out a small sigh, glancing nervously at me from across the grill. She was staring down at her tea for the longest time, messing with the mug. The steam rising from the hot drink was thick and cleared her throat.

"Can you hear me?" She asked, speaking low so no one else could.

I nodded slightly, giving her the signal that I was here for her. I was. I wasn't going to leave her side. Not while Isobel was in the same room. She smiled softly.