Miss Mystic Falls

The knock that echoed through the house was a strong one, pressing against my ears and stirring me from a subtle sleep. Sammy grumbled next to me, my feet on the ground as I shook my head, running my fingers across my face to wake myself up.

Another knock hit my ears as I groaned myself, Sammy settling into the couch as she wrapped herself in the flannel blanket that covered the sofa. The cold air hit me as she tried to get back to sleep, it was late. Too late for a visitor.

"We have a major fucking problem Pierce." Damon pushed his way into my house, his hand cold against my shoulder as I scoffed, standing back. He was looking around, having been invited in once before for something trivial. He wasn't my biggest threat at the moment- I could always handle him.

"Shh," I hissed, lifting my head up slightly as I gestured towards the sleeping girl on the couch. Damon raised his eyebrows, a slight smirk replacing the smug one that was always plaguing him. I shook my head, pinching the bridge of my nose. "What's wrong?"

"Stefan," He whispered back, not wanting to draw attention to himself. "Anna stopped by an hour ago. After they kidnapped him, Pearl forced them all out of town."

I lifted my chin, drawing in a breath. This was bad, my whole theory on the blood bags missing from the local banks. John making it his personal mission to bring justice to the small little town of Mystic Falls. "It could still be them, though."

"I think we both know it's not." He let out a small sigh. "Stefan got a taste of human blood. Elena's blood. I know he said that he stopped, but I don't think he did."

I glanced at Sammy for a second, her breathing steady as a slight snore moved past her lips. She was out cold, her chest rising and falling in a slight rhythm. Damon watched for a few seconds too, my fingers pressing against my hairline.

"He hasn't been at school." I shook my head. "I think he's breaking."

"I know he is."

The day was young, cars surrounding the small patch of park that was in the middle of town. Our feet crunched against the fallen leaves- brown and dead. The noise was almost calming, the scent of a pending snow filling our lungs.

It had been raining a lot lately, making sure that the air stayed cool, even if the coming pageant runners didn't get the memo. The whole entire town was crumpling under traditions. The little festival was later this week- everyone rushing around and trying to keep things under wraps.

Sammy's hand squeezed my shoulder slightly, a strange look having crossed her features. She looked worried, eyebrows creasing. As she moved her hand down my arm and grasped my fingers with hers.

"We need to talk." She whispered, I could barely hear her over the cars passing, but yet, it sounded like thunder against my eardrums. I was inadvertently listening too intently again, enough to raise my fingers to my ear slightly.

I lifted my chin slightly, not saying a word. She clearly had something to get off her chest, something that was swimming in her mind since this morning.

"I'm a very light sleeper, Rowan." She said.

"Are you?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. "A good actor as well."

She shifted her weight, clenching her jaw. Sammy always seemed so innocent to me, her focus wondered a lot, but it never lead me to believe she was catching on to anything. The way she was staring at me now was a different story.

She ignored my comment. "That man, the Salvatore that stopped by your house this morning. He's not the one that stole from the blood banks, is he?"