There Goes the Neighborhood

The pads of my fingers pressed roughly against the grained wood of the bathroom stall. The scent of pine soul and cheap gift soap filled my lungs and pressed against every inch of my body. I was ignoring it, my main focus on the girl who stood in front of me.

She looked better, happier in the sense of actually having her mother back with her. I didn't blame her, Pearl was the town problem solver. She would mix up concoctions and remedy's like an old-world apothecary. The one problem she couldn't solved was the Gilbert Device. The very compass that eluded to the fact that she was undead.

"Wow, Rowan. What would that little blonde girl think about how close we are?"

"Caroline?" I scoffed, knitting my eyebrows together as the shorter vampire crossed her arms across her chest. "Right. Sammy. I'm sure she'd be fine with it if she knew exactly how taxing you've become."

"I'm not sure I know what you mean?" She laughed, almost innocently. "Like I said, my mother and I will stay low."

"It's not about what the town thinks right now." I let out a sharp sigh, chewing the edge of my lip. "Anna, you've been pushing my contact for way too much blood. Too much to just be for your mother and yourself."

She leaned back into the stall a little further. Her eyes moved to the ground for a quick second. Her hard exterior had melted a bit, enough for me to lift my hand from right above her shoulder. My palms were burning and stomach churning. Nothing that I couldn't handle. But Anna was overstaying her welcome on my territory a bit.

The vampire suddenly let out a loud laugh, one that echoed against the walls and called attention to the two of us standing in the middle of the grill restroom in the first place. I had taken too much time away from getting my morning coffee, but figured it was okay to make an exception for something this big.

"You don't care about how much blood I take." She said between laughs "He cut you off, didn't he?"

My fingers wrapped around her leather of her jacket- the fabric cold and unwelcoming against my touch as I slammed her roughly against the door once more. The surface shook, it's noise loud and sharp. "You're forgetting that this is a problem for you too."

"Is it?" She said, all humor leaving her voice as she raised an eyebrow, her breath was hot against my collarbone. It smelled sour and strong- my eyes threatening to water as I struggled not to choke against it. "I don't have a saintly reputation to uphold. You on the other hand? If you were to so much as tap a vein, Elena would never forgive you."

"You're hiding something." I ignored her words, all of them holding a significant place with me. She was right. Without the supplier that I had acquired, I was alone. There were still a few bags of blood in my freezer- but after that I was out of options.

"Let me guess," She scoffed. "You're going to spout some anti-hero line about how you're going to find out exactly what that is?"

My gaze was against hers, strong and not backing down. Not for even a split second. I shoved away from her, pressing my fingertips to my hairline. She watched me with amusement, a little less narcissism in her stance and stare.

I scoffed, storming out of the bathroom all together. She made my blood boil and my pulse pound harder against the inside of my wrist. I couldn't' let her get to me, even though I knew with every ounce of my well-being that something wasn't right here.

"I'm sorry, you what?" My voice was loud in the small school hallway. A few stray glances found their way to Mr. Salzman and I. The whole place seemed to stall, but only for a second before the younger history teacher cleared his throat and shushed me.