Repeating History

I kept my back against the plastic chair. The kind of chair that they used in middle school. It's cheap blue material static filled- the bolts just waiting to pull hair out with every movement. No one said that the police station was supposed to be accommodating, or even comfy.

The handcuffs that chafed against my wrist were not necessary though, the other half was connected to the one and only Stefan Salvatore. Both of us could break free fairly easy, the cuffs not doing anything to hold us. But neither of us had enough emotional strength to even try escaping.

That would look awful on our parts anyway.

We had been questioned for what seemed like hours. Both spending our time slumped against one another right across from Sheriff Forbes office. They wanted us to talk- to tell them everything we knew about Lexi.

I didn't tell her much, not of the truth anyway. For all they knew, Lexi was a family friend who spent most of her time abroad, but visited every once and awhile. We both alluded to the fact of the matter. They wanted to hear all about how Lexi was a blood sucking monster. But she wasn't.

The station was mostly quiet at this time of night, the sun just beginning to rise. We could see the sky begin to shift from black to a dull blue right past the windows. Stefan had stayed quiet the whole night. Even when it was just us.

"Where did you meet her?" Stefan asked me finally, his head pressed against the wall behind him. He kept his eyes closed.

"Spain," I mumbled, thinking about that exact moment. "1760, she was training to be a nurse. I was in marvel at her control."

"She did have a lot of it," Stefan smiled fondly at memories I'm sure he was having. "I never understood where it came from, but I was lucky to have her."

I nodded, quick to used my free hand to wipe away the stray tear that dripped across my cheek. Lexi was a lot more than just a few one-night stands for me. She meant a lot- means a lot. Now she was gone, and both of us knew exactly who was behind it.

My anger wasn't there, though. It was more like defeat. Damon Salvatore was a nuisance before last night. Now he had marked himself as a threat in my book. I knew Stefan would take care of him though, he always did. Or at least he rattled the cage a bit.

The sound of muffled voices pulled me back into a bit of lucidity. I had a raging headache, my throat dry and burning. I hadn't fed since yesterday morning. That I could manage, but any longer and the cravings would start to kick in. I never needed much, but despite my resolve.

"I don't care what kind of questioning you have for them. They are minors and they are entitled to lawyers." The voice was angry, but I recognized it. Elena's aunt. "Actually, you have no grounds to hold them on."

"Jenna, go home." Sheriff Forbes said sternly the two of them stepping into view as they headed towards the office. "You're not their guardian. I think two teenagers is enough."

"They don't have family in town right now." Jenna grasped the older woman's shoulder, turning her around to face her. The deep blue eyes of Elena's aunt met our curious ones. "I don't know what kind of precinct you're running, but you murdered their friend in cold blood. I know that stands to break whatever charges you've given them."

The Sheriff turned and looked our way, her stare softening. We looked rough, undoubtedly. Stefan's eyes rimmed in red as I kept my palm on his knee. Both of us struggling to keep it together until we could sob where all eyes weren't on us.

She relented, squaring her shoulders once more as she walked towards the two of us. Jenna watched cautiously, clenching her jaw as Caroline's mother leaned in front of us, grasping the key to the cuffs from her belt.