A Simple Melody ♬ Chapter Thirty-One - A Best-friend's Kiss

Start from the beginning

          I watched as both my dad and my brother began counting stacks of money, placing them in groups of hundreds and thousands. With each stack my eyes grew wider. From what I remembered, Meg is paying me to the maximum of seven-hundred to a thousand per month, and the same goes for Dave since we're only working part-time after all. Working full time would've gotten us more, but it's not like we have that time anyway.

          I'm guessing most of the money in that bag comes from the hawker stall and my parent's entire savings since who knows when?

          Dave places the large stack onto the table as Dad begins doing the final count.

          "Oh my gosh." Dave gaped. "Oh my gosh Dad."

          "Holy coconuts." Dad goggled. "We're only six thousand away."

          "Seriously?"

          "Six thousand?!" Dave cracked up. "So does that mean that if we get another six thousand we will have enough for my entire college fees?"

          Dad began recounting to prevent any mistakes and disappointment. Soon a bright smile spread across his face and he began nodding to Dave's question.

          "How much does the hawker stall earn every month?"

          "An average of four thousand." Dad replied.

          "So if we work again for the next month, including the fees that we get from the family business...we'll have enough for your fees." I said carefully. "Oh my gosh Dave, we'll have enough for your college fees!"

          "It's a miracle!" Dave began dancing from one corner to another, forgetting how ridiculous he looks, then again, who can care about all that when you just found out that you finally have enough for a better future?

          "Hallelujah!" Dad bolted off from his seat and joined Dave with the dancing.

          "Mom, Mom!" Dave ran up to Mom when she appeared. "I'M GOING TO COLLEGE!"

          "You are?" Mom asked blurrily.

          "Your son is going to college!" I joined in the celebration.

          "I'm going to college." Dave sang as he resumed his dancing with Dad on the coffee table.

          Usually we'd all be in trouble if we messed up the furniture, but right now it doesn't seem at all important. My brother is going to college. I'll only have to work for one more month in the Kimchee Corner, then I'm officially free from working. One more month then I don't have to hide the secret anymore.

          The coffee table collapses suddenly and a loud crash echoed into the entire house.

          "Keep doing that then you'll have to work again for an extra month." Mom warned as the both of them hung their heads in shame.

          When I stop working I'll be able to give my full focus to the band, which also means more band practice. The band will have more time and stand a bigger chance at winning the International Talent Night competition!

          My feet began moving on its own and soon enough I began dancing too, except this time no one joined me.

          "We're going to beat Gigi in the competition!" I screamed like a lunatic and continued dancing breathlessly.

          Just you wait Gigi. Just you wait.

*        *        *

"That's what you get when you let your heart win..."