Chapter 5

The house they lived in was quite old, and consequently it still had a basement. Jack sat there now, legs crossed, with a battery powered flashlight in his lap. The light overhead was still on, so he didn't really need the flashlight, but it was precaution. Jack picked up his phone and looked at the open screen and his messages that were pulled up. He had tried to send a message to Mark, asking if he was alright, but it hadn't gone through. He sighed and rested his head on his hand. He hoped this didn't actually last that long, because it was terribly boring.

He could still hear the faint crashing of the rain against the walls of the house and the occasional boom of thunder from outside. He was in the process of standing up to walk around when the lights flickered twice and cut out. He stood frozen in place for a moment, then lunged for where he figured the flashlight had been placed. He fumbled around until his hands cupped the plastic and he relaxed and brought back some light to the dungeon he was trapped in. Now he could barely see anything, as he only had a small halo of light in the entire room, and it was creeping him out a good bit. It reminded him of far to many horror games he had played.

He heard a thumping from upstairs and a small growl. Not being able to see anything, he was immediately attentive. He knew it was most likely Anti, but what if that thing had come back- the Pooka. He trembled slightly at the thought and held his small flashlight out in front of him like some sort of weapon. The door to the basement slid open and he heard feet slapping against the concrete. He strained his ears, but for the life of his could hear nothing else. Jack stood absolutely still, trying to figure out where whatever it was had gone, but to no avail. Just when he let his guard slip for a single second, a voice whispered in his ear, tingling the back of his neck.

"Scared, Jackaboy?" Jack screamed and flew a foot forward, tripping and landing on his knees with one hand bracing him back from the floor. Thankfully he still had the flashlight in one hand and hadn't dropped it in the process. He glared back at Anti and huffed angrily, pushing himself back up and crossing his arms.

"Not funny," he said, injecting as much malice as he could into the two words.

"No, of course not." He shined the light onto Anti's chest, the glow from his right eye more apparent in the dim lighting.

"I thought you were taking a shower?"

"It got cold."

"That was fairly quick." It had only been a minute or so between when the power had gone out and Anti had come down. Anti shrugged.

"I don't like the cold." He moved and sat down in the middle of the room and Jack followed.

"What should we do to pass the time?" Jack said. Anti laid back on the floor, looking up at the ceiling with his arms folded under his head.

"How long's it gonna be?" He said.

"I don't know." Jack placed the flashlight in front of him, balancing so that it stood straight up and made a column of light. "What did you do today?" Anti lifted his head to look at him and show off the smirk he had taken up.

"Oh, you know. Flew around."

"Wow, so specific thanks. I didn't need to know that much detail, really." Jack rolled his eyes and motioned for him to continue.

"No, you'd think it was boring. What did you do then?"

"Hung out with Mark," Jack said, giving in.

"Uh huh. What was that you said about details?"

"What was that you said about boring?" Anti chuckled and picked at the nails on his fingers.