Chapter 7

Evolett

        Will eyes were full of fear as he turned to me. The knife pushed against my throat and a thin streak of blood flowed down my neck.

"Please..." Will whispered as he took a step forward, his hands out. The man tightened his grip on me and I closed my eyes. Just waiting for it to happen.

"Take one step and I slit her throat." The man threatened. Will toke a step back and opened his mouth to speak.

"Just let me explain. Plea-" Will was cut of by a knocking at the door. The man looked at me, Will and then the door.

        A woman came around the corner carrying a small baby and another little girl clung to her skirts. The man let go of me and threw Will and I to the woman.

"Who are you people?" The woman whispered. Another knock was heard louder this time. The woman led us to a room and the knocks grew louder, more impatient this time.

"My name is William and this is Evolett." Will said urgently. Her eyes widened and she walked to the other side of the room, opening a latch in the floor. "Get in." She said quietly but fierce. Will and I both got in and she shut the door. I could see easily through the floor boards and what I saw made me cringe.

        Guards from the castle were walking around the house, their boots clicking on the wooden floor. We both stood there, looking through the floor boards, waiting for something bad to happen.

"Have you seen these two fugitives?" A man with a long brown beard asked. The little girl still clung to her mothers skirts and the mother said,"What are they accused of?"

        The bearded man hesitated but said," The man stole from the castle and kidnapped the girl." The wife nodded and put on a sweet smile, while stroking the young girl that still hung off her skirts.

Please don't say anything. Please.

"Does the girl have white hair? And does the man have black?" She asked. The guard nodded, hoping to get some information. Our eyes were glued to the scene above us praying to whatever God that would listen to our pleas. Will reached over and toke my hand in his own, I glanced down and held tighter.

"I believe I saw them heading east towards the Kingdom Of Larilis ." The woman said confidently. The guard gave her one of the posters with drawings of us on it then led his men out of the house. Glancing into the rooms as he left. They whispered the whole time.

        Will and I both sighed in relief when she lifted the hatch once more. We got out and I rubbed my throbbing leg, slightly bleeding still. The woman eyed Will and said, "You're the Prince, what are you doing here?"

        The man, obviously the father and husband of the house, who held the knife to my throat came in the room and said to his wife,"Didn't you hear? He was cast out and had his royal name striped from him. Plus he kidnapped this woman."

The woman gave Will a sad look then helped me off the ground.

    "I didn't kidnap her." Will said a little angry. The man shook his head and went out of the room. Mumbling under his breath words I haven't heard in years.

        "Excuse my husband... he can be a little, um...." Her sentence went unfinished. "My name is Ofelia, this is my daughter Claudia and her baby sister May." Ofelia said, scooting her daughter Claudia forward. Her light brown curls bounced and she hid her face from my sight. I smiled at her, hoping to break the ice. Ofelia's husband came rushing back in and stood in front of his family, still holding the knife. "Take the girls and get out, dear, the 'Prince' and I must have a talk...Try and get this figured out." She nodded and led us away. "Also," he said, glancing back over his shoulder, " keep our girls away from them, who knows the trouble that could fall on us."