Chapter 2

Today was the day the King and Queen were coming to our house. This King was just as bad as the last one, he might put one in jail for something as simple as looking at him the wrong way.

Maybe after he dies and the Prince takes over, he will be nicer. I thought as I cleaned the house and made breakfast for their arrival. From the corner of my eye, I noticed Maya staring at me from the door.

"Good morning Maya." I said as I washed the dishes. She walked over to me and said," I would answer you back but I forgot your name... " I knew she was only teasing me so there was no need to get angry. I was not about to give her what she wants.

"Its Evolett and you know that Maya." I said over my shoulder. She smirked at me and made her way to the wooden stool, using her hand to fluff up her brand new dress.

Her brown curls bounced as she sat down, I used to envy her pretty hair but after spending days on end in the dirt, brown didn't seem all that attractive anymore.

"You know Eve, the Kings son is going to marry me, right?" I ignored the nickname and continued to move robotically around.

"Yes of course." I answered back as Iriana came down the stairs rubbing her eyes. She sat down next to Maya and groaned. "Where is breakfast?! I couldnt sleep at all last night and when I wake I expect food!" I rolled my eyes and walked over to get the King and Queens breakfast.

The dining area was the cleanest part of the whole farm, and it toke days to get it to look that way. Several stolen market items sat about, being more useful than either one of the sisters that thought it'd be funny to steal in the first place.

Iriana reached for a danish I moved them before she could get one into her claws. "Um excuse me!! But I want one so you can either give me one or I will come over there and get one by force!"

I ignored her and as i set down the plate else where, Maya's face light up and she whispered in Iriana's blushed ears.

I watched them whisper from the corner of my eye and noticed Iriana stand up and walk towards me. I reached into the stone oven to grab the bread and Iriana pushed me forward. The fire licked my forearm and I gasped in surprise then in pain as the flame engulfed my skin.

"Iriana!!!!" I yelled in pain as I held my arm agaisnt my chest. Demetria came down the stairs in her red silk robe, still tieing the front. "What exactly is going on in here? It's early and we don't need another cawing creature."

Iriana sat back down next to Maya with a sheepish look on her ugly face. I hid my arm and continued to finish the food. My face contorted in pain. She walked next to me giving Iriana a dirty look, "Why would you do that Iriana?! What will the King and Queen think when their server's arm is red and bubbling? They will be disgusted!" Iriana scoffed and bit her lip in reply.

Demetria picked up my hair and made a nasty noise, "You need to wash before they get here, which should be any mintute." I nodded and wiped my hands on my apron then ran out of the room to the bath house. Bathing was something I didnt get to do very often so it was a time of joy for me.
I made my way to the small area behind the horse stables, where a small tub sat, overflowing with rain water from previous nights.

I got in the tub of water and watched as it became brown with dirt, I washed my pale hair with soap and sighed. The burn on my arm bubbled and felt as if it were still engulfed in flames.

I stepped out of the bath and dried my hair and skin with my dress, it felt nice to be somewhat clean for once. The large burn on my arm stung as I wrapped it up so no one would notice it and made my way back inside the house.