Chapter 9

Evolett

We rode silently on the horse until dawn. May wouldn't stop crying and I didn't know what to do. It was becoming awfully annoying, having never been around little kids, I wasn't use to their fits.

Will slowed the horse down and jumped off, he helped me down as well.

"We should make camp here." Will said. I set my bag down against a tree and looked around. The place was spotted with trees and bushes, all grey and green. I held May gently under my cloak, trying to keep her warm while Will sat down next to me. 

"Evolett. Are you okay?"

He pushed his black hair away from his eyes and looked at me. I bounced May absently, thinking if I should be honest with him or not.

I put on a small smile and nodded. "What about you?" He toke a big sigh and shrugged his shoulders. "Apart from all this, Im perfectly ok." He said motioning to everything around us.

What mess had I gotten us into?

I studied May and noticed her getting thinner along with the rest of us. We hadn't much food left and we need to be as sparing about it as much as possible.

But Will and I could go longer without food than a baby. I grabbed a small piece of rock hard bread and chewed it into a mush before giving it to May.

For the first time in what felt like hours, May had stop crying. Will handed me some more bread and watched me feed her.

After a few more pinches of mush, she had fell asleep. Im happy shes asleep but I needed to tend to nature's calls. "Will can you watch her for a minute?" I asked as I turned to see him asleep. I smiled and put May into Will's dirty arms and covered them with my cloak.

I walked around looking for a good bush, keeping them in my eye sight at all times. After glancing around to make sure nothing and no one was watching as I did my business.

I looked at the sky and wondered what time it was. The sun was hidden behind the grey clouds and a thin mist began to fall. I really didn't mind the rain. In fact, I love it, I would prefer it over sunny weather any day.

I thought of snow as I made my way back to our tiny camp. The horse was eating quietly, swinging his tail every now and then, sending a small gust of wind that blew Will's black hair over his eyes. I sat and pushed his hair back over his head. Watching them quietly for who knows how long.

I thought of all the questions I had and wondered if Will would know any of the answers.

Like, why Ofelia was accused of witchcraft. Witches weren't real, Demetria taught me that when I was too afraid to leave the house at night. I thought back to those times and things were so different. I remembered her face twisted with disgust at my stupidity.

"But I cant. Theres witches out there, one might grab me and fly away!" I cried to Demetria, hoping for some comfort but instead got hit.

"You are more stupid than even Alice." She scolded.

Alice was the towns troubled girl. She worked with me at the Brothel for a while before being kicked out. She had random fits of insanity, forgot anything and everything, and had only half a right arm. They said it was cut off as a child for stealing things. I pitied her but still hated being compared to someone like that.

I remembered crying in fear at the thought of evil witches taking me away. Demetria was sick of it so she made me sleep outside until I was no longer afraid.

I hate to say that it worked.

I returned to reality and glanced at Will and May, still quietly sleeping. My mind still lingered on Ofelia. And what she did for me...Wait. I cant beileve I forgot!