Chapter 14

Evolett

There was a time when I wasn't weak. A time where my freedom wasn't controlled by a selfish woman with cruel intent. I never realized how much I didn't have until Will came along. Like a raven in the night, he saved me from one hell. But we inevitably ended up in another.

I didn't know where he was, or where I was for that matter. The last thing I could recall was the sound of Will's cries and my gasping, heavy body.

The sound of rats scurrying to and fro snapped me out of memory I looked around the small dungeon like room I was kept in, the tiny hole in the wall let in just enough sunlight to reveal the dirt, ash and blood that littered the floor and myself.

My stomach growled menacingly, I was nearly convinced it would devour itself if I didn't put something in it. Looking around I noticed a small metal plate with something on it, food perhaps?

Crawling excitingly over, I was meet with the smell of sour mush. I wanted to cry but I was simply too weak. I shoveled the mush onto my hand and bought it towards my mouth, trying not to gag. Closing my eyes and leaning my head back, I pushed the 'food' into my mouth. The smell was one thing but the taste was a whole other demon.

The tears started to fall unintentionally when I didn't stop throwing rotten food into my mouth. My stomach protested and I felt like an animal.

A feeling I haven't experienced ever since Will found me. He made me feel human, and for once I was actually glad he wasn't here to see me like this. Dirty and broken, desperately trying to fill my stomach with something the rats wouldn't even eat.

I'd been broken before, I've lost hope before. But at least at Demetria's house, I had a sort of human companionship. Even if it was two evil sisters and a whore of a mother. Even the brothels had someone to talk to. It was something. And this.

This is nothing.

Will is probably dead and you will be too. The girls in which your care was placed are dead as well. And it's all my fault.

My limbs weakened and I left myself fall to the floor. Dust and ash blew in small puffs as my breath drew in and out. The tears had subsided but my face was still wet, my body too weak and my anger burning softly within my soul.

Don't lose hope

Will needs you

You need Will

And I felt myself fall to sleep, my last conscious thought wilting like a rose in flame.

.................

The sound of metal hitting floor startled me awake. I sat up quickly and felt my head spin. I observed my surroundings, a new plate next to the door, it's smell scaring every creature away; except for me.

The morning light allowed me to see my prison and myself a little better. Dried blood coated my knees and hands, I tried scraping it off, but to no avail.

Searching the room, I found what looked like a doll made of straw, tied together with stands of orange hair, a piece of glass that could possibly be used as a weapon and something small and round in the corner.

What is that?

I inched closer until I held the small object in my hands, the mud was layered thick but I managed to pull some of it off.

Was that...hair?

I stared, wondering what it was. But the sound of the cell gate, rattling startled me, I dropped the strange object and jumped for the broken shard of glass.

Quickly wrapping it in a bit of my dress, as not to damage my hands more, I hid it behind me. Waiting for whatever was to come .

"Hello?" A small voice asked, the sound of rattling chains echoed behind her. The voice was obviously female, and obviously frightened. I lowered my weapon.

"Hello? Is someone in there? Please answer. Hello?" The soft, song like voice rang again.

I stood and made my presence known, "Uh, hello? Who are you?". I waited for a response but it didn't come. I walked over to my gate, noticing a small girl with hair like fire, propped up against the cell wall, opposite of me.

Her eyes lit up and she smiled, showing her mouth of rotten teeth in the process.

"Hi! Oh dear Lord, it's been so long since I've seen another human. I'm so scared, do you know what they're going to do to us? "

She was shaking quite badly and her fingers fumbled with her short knotted hair. I took her silence as an opportunity to speak.

"My name is Evolett, what's your name?" I asked, ignoring her other questions out of fear. She took a moment to answer and I shuffled awkwardly to my left foot.

"My name is Loffy, I - wait! Did you say your name was Evolett?" Her tanned face lit up, almost hopeful. I nodded quickly.

"Hurry, is there a little girl in your cell? She spoke of you often but I haven't heard her recently." Loffy spoke with a lisp, worry layered her green eyes.

My heart sank at the thought of what I was holding earlier.

It couldn't be. There's no way it's who I think it is.

"Did she say her name? What did she look like? Please tell me." I begged, tears forming in my eyes. Knowing the truth but refusing to acknowledge it.

Loffy looked down, "She said her name was Claudia. I think she had a baby sister named May. But I don't really remember...She didn't speak much of her family."

I sank to the ground. Tears pouring out of me like rain. Just when I thought I had no tears left, more always came.

Loffy was stumbling over herself, reaching her hand through the bars, telling me to do the same. My head throbbed with pain but I did as she asked.

Thoughts of Claudia's small body being dragged through hell and back, being beheaded and thrown away to rot. God knows what they did to her before that.

I let out a cry. A sorrowful cry, that echoed throughout the dungeon.

It's not fair. She didn't deserve this.

Loffy let me express my pain and held my hand the whole time, singing a lullaby I only noticed when my sobs died down.

Baby, sleep,

gently sleep,

life is long is long

and love is deep.

Time will be sweet for thee.

All the world to see.

Time to look about and know

How the shadows come and go

How the breeze stirs the trees

And how the blooms grow....

My eyes shut, my hiccups loud and pleading. Loffy squeezed my hand and cried with me. Her soft, broken voice repaying the soft, broken melody.
______________________________________

I'm updating slowly but surely. Also going back and editing  the chapters I wrote when I was alot worse at writing 😂

The lullaby is from the movie The Village btw. Awesome movie btw 10/10