♛Ūnus- Absūmō♛

Start from the beginning

I tighten my jacket around me as I walked down the streets of Manhattan, New York. I shivered; the night was especially cold, and the howls did nothing to make it warmer. Their painful howls was something even the humans were growing used to, as I became a werewolf huntress. To me their mourning howls was music to my ears. Humans, all the underworld, can hear their pain, and in full moon, you can hear their wails and screeches- melody to my ears.

I stopped in front of my home. To normal mortals, this was an old library, rusty and mostly empty now. To me, it was the Lycan Hunter Condominium. This place was the safest place for a person like me to stop by and rest.

The Condominium is a living hell for the undead and the lycanthrope. Every inch and every corner is sprayed with Verbena and Aconitum, which also go by the name of vervain and wolfsbane. Its the plant poison for vampires and werewolves, which have adopted different names along the years, but hasn't changed in the power to bring a supernatural to their knees. That's beside the guards that look after the Condominium, regardless of the hunters training around the perimeter. We are hated by every magical folk out there so we don't get the luxury to sleep, or close our eyes in a peaceful sleep. We really don't have any peace at all, since a very long time, since I came along.

The inside looks pretty much like your normal gothic place. Chandeliers of candles light up the place since we don't get to use much electronics. Leather furniture here and there, but nothing luxurious in the public rooms. We travel far too much to get a conformity we don't need.

I made a left turn and ran upstairs, going three floors upwards, being careful not to trip in this dark light. I was agile and flexible, but I was human. And I liked to be human, it gave me a sense of pride and achievement to do the things I do. I'm very much disadvantaged from wolves and stuff, so I take pride in kicking their ass.

I walked into the office and instantly smiled, home sweet home. I sat on the couch and waited for my mentor to appear, whatever he was doing at this time. He never tells me, and I never ask, we are all pretty much to ourselves.

The office was big and oval-shaped, with a dark brown floor and hard brown wood placed in stacks on the walls. The room had two parallel walls as book shelves, full of old dusty books. It also had a piano and a bunch of paintings of ancestry. The fourth wall held information about the hunters all around the world; I took my file and burnt it, though. They haven't noticed, and won't be bothered to ask for it either, not if they fear for their fingers. Anyways, there's also a chimney next to the piano, which always lighten up the dark room.

"Catarina?" My mentor called.

Carlisle has been my mentor since I entered the place, which was at the age of 13. He has messy black hair and blue eyes, with sharp facial features. He's 5'9 or 5'8, somewhere around there. He's a handsome man and quite young, but it seems that in this palace beauty is a discount from your happiness. The less you need beauty, the less you want it, the more you have it. He's the only person that isn't afraid of me and doesn't mind pissing me off. But he holds too much respect and distance between us, not knowing how much I value him, though I never say so out loud.

"We've been worried, it's late," he said, sitting in front of me.

"Oh just, maintaining myself busy and productive," I shrugged while smirking.

"How many?" He asked in a monotone, looking at the blood in my hands. This blood, this blood I didn't want to wash off, I wanted to bathe in it. Yes, that's how cynical I am.