Envy

You are scum Emilio and your reign won’t last forever! You can’t have everything, you can’t be king of Mexico City and have Jorge so watch your back. It is time for Los Reyes to take a step down and for Los Diablos to rise up and mark my words I will do anything to make that happen! You watch your pretty little thing, keep him close by otherwise you never know what might happen to him.

Vincente you have been babbling about taking me down for years why should I be scared now, and if you touch one hair on Jorge’s head I will make you pay for it! There is no time for Los Diablos, you are nothing, done!

This isn’t over Emilio take my warning I will be back on top before the year is out and I will keep Jorge as a trophy to show everyone how I took it all away from you.

Over my dead body Vincente!

That’s exactly how I hope it will turn out Emilio watch your back!

Ten months later.

“Jorge please just quit that job I can support us both you know that?!”

“Emilio I have told you time and time again I love you and I put up with your chosen lifestyle but I will not get involved in it and I will not profit from it. I will continue to work for my mother and you will stop going on about it please.”

This was the same argument that I had been having with my boyfriend for the last ten months, he had never had a problem with it before but now he just wouldn’t let it drop. He wouldn’t give me a good enough reason to quit so until he did I would keep working for my family in the restaurant we have built from scratch. I will not go through life living on drug money and he should know me better than that.

Emilio Cardoza is the leader of the very well-known drug cartel Los Reyes and you may wonder how I got involved with him in the first place or why I hung around once I had found out. It’s not a very interesting story however I fell in love and that’s about it, I am not about to judge him I just keep out of his business and what I don’t know doesn’t hurt. 

I worry about him all of the time and I have asked him to retire but he keeps reminding me that for a guy like him there is no such this as retirement until your six feet under. I hate sitting at home waiting for the day that Juan his second in command calls me to tell me he has been hit and that is why I work an honest decent job to take my mind off it.

No one would dare to touch Emilio, his word is law and his men follow him like he is Jesus or something. However there is a rival cartel in Acapulco and there have been rumours that the leader Vincente Caballero is looking to expand his empire. I don’t know how true this is because Emilio will not discuss it with me and to be honest I don’t want to know it will only make me worry about him more.

He has however had me watched for the last ten months, every time I go to work I am flanked my two armed men. I have begged, pleaded and practically stamped my foot to have him stop this foolishness but he refuses to acknowledge my request and the men are still there. It is not good for business as people know who they are, the reputation of those men proceeds them and people don’t want to eat alongside members of a notorious drug cartel.

Ruben and Gerardo don’t speak to me, they don’t talk to anyone they just watch me like a hawk and whenever someone enters the restaurant they are both on their feet as quick as lightening. I give them the look as I approach the customers and they don’t relax until I have them seated and served, it’s becoming a pain in my backside.

Today was the same as any day, the pair were sitting at a table in the front of the restaurant playing cards. Each time the bell went signalling the arrival of a new customer their hands went to their belts where their guns were attached. I was running around like a headless chicken serving people through our busy lunch hour when the door went and I heard two deafening bangs. At first I thought they had shot a customer but when I whipped round to look both Ruben and Gerardo were lying on the floor eyes wide and still, they were both dead.