Must be dreaming...

This job absolutely sucked, it wasn’t what I expected to do for the rest of my life but I couldn’t seem to leave there was just one thing or should I say one person keeping me here. He made it all worthwhile and stacking shelves, no matter how repetitive, could actually be fun when he was around to help.

That’s where I am now, the nearest super market to my house in Newcastle so that I could be close if I needed to get home quick, you see that’s why I am here in the first place. I had to put my life on hold training to be a doctor so that I could look after my mum because she has degenerative Motor Neuron Disease. She needs constant care and I try to be there as much as I can but her benefits barely cover her living costs let alone mine so I have to work.

Beans, I am so sick of beans. I think if I don’t see another tin of beans in the whole of my life I will die a happy man. How many different types of beans could there possible be anyway, I mean this is ridiculous I have been on two hours just stacking beans! It kills me that I could have been a doctor by now and my mum wouldn’t have to worry about money ever again but I can’t be away from her more than a few hours and my course was full time.

“Cheer up Jordan it might never happen!” He smiled that beautiful smile.

My day just got infinitely better, Isaac always had the ability to make me smile and make any task more enjoyable, I had been counting down the minutes for his shift to start since I began mine two hours ago. I only had two hours left of my shift but I wasn’t going to dwell on that I was going to enjoy every minute that I got to spend with him.

“Sorry Isaac I was in a trance it’s these bloody beans I am sick of them.” I smiled.

“Tough break. You’re nearly done though and then you can come and help me with the delivery out back!” He smiled again.

“Help me then and I will be finished faster.” I playfully pushed him.

We set about loading the last of the tins to the shelf then we made our way out back to prepare for the new delivery due in a few minutes. We moved existing stock around to make room then when we were done we sat down waiting for it to arrive, then Isaac jumped up as if remembering something important.

“Dude it’s your birthday next week and we haven’t planned anything to celebrate it.” He yelled.

“Woah calm down Isaac you know I can’t go out for my birthday I have mum.” I smiled sadly.

“Can you not just get her carer to spend just one night with her maybe slip her some extra cash for the hassle. It’s your mum she wouldn’t want you to miss your birthday your twenty five, a quarter of a century!” He laughed.

God he would be the death of me! That sound rang in my ears like the best song in the world and it repeated itself over and over and over. I sighed, I am sure Marcy would stop just one night it was my birthday after all and if it meant getting to spend the night with Isaac outside of work then it would be worth the try.

“Ok I will try but I can’t promise anything it’s up to Marcy.” I smiled back. “And could you please not say a quarter of a century, Jesus that sounds so old!”

He laughed again and I found my hands gripping the box that I was sitting on tightly to stop myself moaning out loud. I stood up to shake off the feeling that was spreading through my body from my head and moving southwards. I was saved by the bell as the buzzer went off to alert us that the lorry had arrived, the garage door opened and the truck backed up. We spent the next two hours unloading and packing the stuff away into its rightful place, we laughed and carried on and it was blissful.

When my shift ended I didn’t want to leave him, he still had another three hours left and I wished that I could align my shifts more with his so that I could see him more often. I walked home quickly, Isaac filling my thoughts and I was shocked when I was in front of my door not realising how far I had walked.