Shade of Green

“Hey babe hard day at work?” I asked my boyfriend Anthony.

“No it was quite fun for a change, we got a new guy called Kieran and he is so funny.” He beamed.

“Oh how so?”

“You know he just tells funny jokes and makes everyone laugh.” He chuckled.

Well that’s new, I haven’t seen him smile like this in a long time usually I have to prepare myself for the torrent of whinging that comes from him after a day at work. I guess this new guy could be a good thing, if he comes home with a smile on his face its awful being in a job you can’t stand. I love my job because I have good mates there so it will be nice for Anthony to have that too.

He went on for another hour about how funny Kieran is and by the end of the hour it didn’t seem as much of a good thing as I had first hoped. I was already sick of his name but like I said as long as it made his job more bearable I would smile and nod in all of the right places.

I sat on the couch and he climbed up on my lap kissed the side of my mouth and brushing his fingers through my hair. I smiled up at him wrapping my arms around his waist to stop him falling off as he pulled out his phone to go on Facebook. I watched as he typed a new status and I smiled when I saw At home with my gorgeous boyfriend Mark time to make my lovely some tea. I kissed him on the neck in gratitude and followed him to the kitchen to help him make our tea.

I loved it when he told everyone that we were together and that he was happy with me. It made me feel like I was doing something right and I loved him just as much as he loved me. We took our time cooking and had a bit of a food fight when I laughed at his attempt at making a chicken Kiev it looked awful but I am sure it would taste erm ok? After dinner we curled up to watch a good movie with a bottle of wine, I loved being the bigger spoon and Anth would always lie wrapped in my arms.

The next few weeks went pretty much the same way but I noticed that Kieran’s name crept into the conversation more often, which I guess would be fine. It would be fine if he didn’t talk over the top of me, interrupting to tell me how Kieran did that better or that Kieran looked better in the colour I was wearing.

On Friday we decided to go out for an Italians and I was so ready for a drink to go with it my head was that battered. We ordered our food with a pint of Peroni to go with it and we chatted about our weeks and I wasn’t surprised when Kieran made an appearance in every conversation but I let it go. While we were waiting for our mains Anth got up to go to the toilet and left his phone on the table, he usually does this and as usual I picked it up to check his Facebook, he doesn’t mind so I’m not deliberately snooping.

However this time I couldn’t check because he had a pin on his phone I couldn’t understand that, he had never had a pin before? When he came back I questioned him about it but he just shrugged it off saying people had been fraping him at work and he was sick of it. I guess that was a pretty plausible reason for adding a pin wasn’t it, yeah I can’t see why he would do it otherwise?

We enjoyed the rest of our night and we avoided the topic of work instead we decided what we were going to do with our weekend off next week. I thought we could go away for the weekend and he seemed to think about it for a while before he agreed with me.

As the week progressed I was becoming a little disappointed in Anthony’s behaviour, I was fine with him having new mates it was great. I wasn’t fine about the fact that he seemed to drop everyone else and that included me, I had never left him to go out with my mates or ignored him for hours unless it was to talk about some guy at work.

I let it slide though as the weekend was almost here so we would be going away and he would be sure to put his phone away and spend some quality time with me then. So when the weekend came and he told me he had to work I was understandably livid, I told him I wasn’t happy that I missed him and I wanted to spend some time with him. He looked upset at this like he hadn’t noticed how distant he had been and he apologised but promised he would be more hands on next week. It wasn’t good enough!