Useless

“Hurry up will you or we will be late!” He snapped.

“I am trying, you’re walking too fast.” I replied.

He stopped suddenly in front of me and I bumped into him, the look on his face told me that I had gone too far. He looked livid and I cowered back waiting for the inevitable onslaught of vicious words and possibly this time he would show me who was boss.

“You dare to talk back to me like that? Why can’t you ever do anything right, we will just have to make sure that it doesn’t happen again later wont we?!” He finished and began to walk again.

Not wanting to upset him I followed quickly behind him, why couldn’t I do anything right? He always told me how he expected me to act but I always failed him somehow. I wasn’t sure what I was doing wrong most of the time but it never seemed to be good enough and I really was trying, it’s not like I wanted to disappoint him so much, I loved him.

We were heading to our mates wedding reception, Justin had married his school sweetheart Georgia after being together for eight years. I was god parent to their one year old Jake and I loved him so much, I couldn’t wait to see him and celebrate his parents’ marriage together. Tyler, my boyfriend and I had been together just as long but ours wasn’t so happy a relationship, like I said I was trying so hard but I just kept disappointing him and I was so surprised he hadn’t left me already.

We sat down at a table with Justin and Georgia and Jake ran straight over to me and jumped onto my lap, we greeted them and gave them our gift. Once they were distracted by more guests and their gifts, I tried to make up for earlier by asking Tyler if he wanted anything to drink.

“I was wondering when you were going to get me something to drink Liam.” He scolded. “I will have a pint of lager.”

“Sorry I was just saying hello to Jake I will go now, pint of lager ok and I will just get a coke.” I replied.

I walked to the bar and ordered the drinks, it took the barmaid a few minutes to pour the lager because she had to change the barrel and for the first few glasses only foam came out of the tap. She chuckled as she apologised and eventually the lager began to fill the glass, I paid her the money then I took the drink over to Tyler and placed it in front of him.

“What’s this?” He asked.

“It’s the pint of lager that you asked for babe.” I replied.

“I never asked for this, and there’s too much foam on it!” He snapped.

“You asked for lager right?” I questioned, had I heard him wrong?

“No I asked for coke, why can’t you do anything right?” He grilled.

“I am really sorry I could have sworn you asked for lager, here have my coke I will get another one.” I offered.

“No I will just have to suffer with what you have bought me wont I?!” He bit and I cringed.

The rest of the party was spent in silence, Justin asked a few times what was wrong with me but I just smiled and told him nothing. I really didn’t want to disappoint Tyler anymore and the easiest way to achieve that would be to just sit quietly, that way I wouldn’t say or do anything wrong.

At home I went into the bathroom and ran a hot bath for him, I lay out some fresh clothes and towels and I poured some of his favourite muscle soak into the water. Once it was finished I went out and told him to go and relax, he looked at me surprised and I smiled and told him I would make his tea for him for when he was finished. He stood up and without another word he moved to the bathroom and locked the door behind him, I went to the kitchen and began dinner.