Halfway to Heaven

"Make sure your trousers are pressed and you put a tie on Percy. Hurry now were going to be late for church!"

"Yes mum."

I walked up the stairs as quickly as I could without running, I knew I would get wrong if I was caught running and today was not a day I wanted to get in trouble. My mother gets all serious on Sundays because it is time for church and we can't under any circumstances be late for that, she just wouldn't accept that. So as I entered my room I pulled on my freshly ironed trousers and shirt, then I wrapped a plain tie around my neck being as quick as possible.

I moved back downstairs and out the front door to the car filled with my waiting parents and siblings. As soon as I was in the car my father pulled out of the drive and headed for the church in town, I really wasn't looking forward to another sermon but I had no choice.

My parents were devout Catholics and church was mandatory in our household, there was absolutely no use in arguing with them. Even my school had been religious, every meal became prayer time and every conversation that we had included some passage from the bible. Every aspect of my life was approved or disapproved by the use of the bible and the words within it, I had my own opinions about this but again it just wasn't worth it.

As usual the sermon went very slowly and by the end of it my ass was hurting so much off the unforgiving wooden pews that I was walking funny as we left the church. Driving back through town I watched the world go by and wondered if this was it for me, would my life be this constant pattern of bible recitals and church visits?

My eye caught something as we were leaving town and I was surprised that I had never seen the neon sign before. I was pulled out of my trance by my father who was muttering some obscenities, I wasn't sure what they were about as my attention was still on the neon green sign. The club was only visible in the alley way because of the sign, there was a group of men who looked to be in their late twenties standing outside.

The sign read 'The Closet' and I was confused as to why someone would call a bar the closet? My dad yelled something from the front of the car which snapped me out of my trance and back into his reality. When I focused on my parents I could hear my mother telling him to ignore them and keep driving, I was confused so I dared to ask.

"Who are they dad, why are you so upset it's just another club?" I asked.

"Percy those are not normal people and I forbid you to go near them or talk about them again you understand?" He snapped.

"Sure but can you at least tell me why first, I think I deserve to understand why I am not allowed to talk about a simple club?" I asked pushing my luck a little.

"That isn't a normal club, it is full of fairies." He said getting angrier.

"Fairies?" I asked not clicking on.

"FAGS PERCY!" He yelled.

"Oh ok I get it, keep away and don't talk about it- fine." I replied.

"Those people are an abomination Percy darling it's understandable for your father to get upset." My mum joined in.

I ignored them both and looked back out of the window, an abomination? Sounds a little harsh doesn't it but like everything in my life it's easier just to nod and agree with them. I let the club fall out of my mind and I carried on with life, I was a university student and I had enough on my plate as I was in my last year. I didn't need to worry about my dad's opinions on other people's extracurricular activities.

As the weeks passed by the routine became monotonous and I was beginning to wish that I had disobeyed my parents' wishes and left to go to university in another town. I remember that conversation well, my parents had refused to let me move away because they wouldn't be able to make sure that I was attending church and behaving appropriately. I was guilt tripped into staying at home and now I was beginning to wonder if I would ever get away.