Paradise

Out tonight, I can’t wait either. This last week has dragged and only because I have been looking forward to this night out so much, it’s been a long time since I have gone out with my mates for a drink and I am going to make the most of it. I have just walked through my front door and I only have around twenty minutes to quickly jump in the shower before my mates will be banging down my door.

I stripped quickly and jumped in scrubbing myself clean and washing my hair, this only took me ten minutes so I jumped out and pulled on some shorts for the time being. We were all having a few drinks here before we go to town so I was in no rush to choose what I wanted to wear.

Right on time my doorbell went, quickly followed by a fist bashing against the glass. I called out that I was coming but as usual Joe never listened and continued to bang, I could hear Jordan sniggering at him and Gareth telling Joe that I would kill him one day.

“He’s right dick, you’ll knock my door down man!” I faked anger as I swung the door open.

“Aw Cole why do you pretend to be angry I know you love me really.” Joe said slapping my face as he walked in.

“I don’t know why I put up with you?” I smiled.

“Like I said you love me, now where are the beers?” He asked.

“In the fridge where else moron?” I laughed.

“Well go get them then we’re the guests!” He said.

“Joe you’re a guest the first time you enter my house after that you get your own beer and food so get back off your lazy arse and get to the kitchen.” I replied.

“But…” He started but got cut off.

“Stop whinging the pair of you I’ll get the bloody drinks!” Gareth chipped in.

“Nice one Gaz.” Jordan laughed.

“Call me Gaz again and I’ll shove yours up your arse!” He replied.

“You know I never understood why you don’t like it, that’s what people called Gareth usually get called?” Jordan asked him.

“Well I am not some poncy git from Geordie shores now am I? So it’s Gareth and you’ll like it.” He growled.

Gareth is always the serious one, he puts on this front but underneath he is a big softy. He and I are the closest and when he is alone with me he lets himself go and the real Gareth comes out, he is loyal and a very good friend. Jordan is the baby of the group and acts that way, he is always fooling around and sniggering at Joe. Trying to get him to act even remotely serious is hard work so we just leave him to Joe as those two are thick as thieves. Joe well…. Joe is an arse but we love him anyway.

So those are my mates and those are the sorry bunch that will be taking me out tonight, apparently they are sick of me moping around being single. I do not mope but yes I am single and yes it has been quite a while since I have met anyone that compares to… well that I like.

I sat beside Gareth as he came back with the beers and got himself comfortable on the couch and we all fell into some easy conversation about work and what we would do tonight. They all equally agreed that they would help me pull, apparently being separated from a partner for eight months and not moving on was far too long. Even if you had been with that partner for seven years and it had ended horribly, they were all determined and yet I don’t think I need their help.

I was perfectly capable of pulling on my own I just wasn’t ready for anything serious yet and nine times out of ten people always wanted serious. I won’t tell them this though, they are all so excited and maybe eight months is a long time.