Chapter 24

Katniss' POV
"Mommy I'm so excited to play with Rider!" Willow squeals as we get to Gale's doorstep. "Just remember to play nice little duck." I joke which makes Willow roll her eyes. I knock on the door and Gale and Rider open it with a huge smile. "Good morning ladies." Gale smiles. "Good morning." Willow says as she runs inside with Rider. "Would you like to come in Catnip?" Gale says. "I would love to." I smile as I make my way into Gale's living room. "What happened to not having kids?" Gale jokes. I just roll my eyes and laugh. "She looks exactly like you." Gale smiles. "Not really." I laugh. "All she has is my hair everything else looks like Peeta." I laugh again. "Katniss I just wanted to tell you something." Gale says giving me a serious look. "I'm so sorry.. about everything I promised to protect you're family and I couldn't even do that. I killed her. I couldn't sleep for weeks. I thought I ruined your life because I knew she was the one person that you truly loved." Gale frowns. A few tears shed from my eyes but I quickly wiped them. "Gale I never should've overreacted like I did. If you knew those parachutes would've killed her you wouldn't have sent them." I state. "I should've just called you or at least made an effort to contact you but I was just so mad and hurt." I say. "I'm just glad we can be friends again." Gave smiles. "Me too." I smile back.
•••
By the time Willows play date was done Peeta was already home making lunch. "Daddy!" Willow screams as she runs to Peeta hugging him. "How was your day sweetheart?" Peeta asks her. "Just perfect daddy! Rider and I had so much fun." Willow smiles. "I'm glad to hear." Peeta says as he kisses her. Willow runs upstairs and now it was my turn to get Peeta's affection. "And how was your day my love?" Peeta says kissing my lips. "It was ok." I smile. "I made up with Gale." I tell him which gave Peeta a huge smile. "Good." He says kissing me again. "Maybe we could have a fun time tonight as your reward." Peeta laughs as he rubs my stomach. "Maybe." I smirk.
•••
Peeta's POV
I was very happy when Katniss told me her and Gale made up. The happiness on her face really did make my night and maybe something else will make my night.
•••
Both Katniss and I put Willow to bed. Our little duck has been insisting that we both need to put her to bed. Katniss sings Willow the Valley Song and we both soon leave. We get back to our room and I can see Katniss is distressed. "Hey what's wrong?" I ask her. "I'm just in some discomfort." She says. "Where at?" I ask her. "I can at least try to make it better." She points towards her back and I start to rub it. "Ouch Peeta too hard." She snaps. "I'm sorry." I say rubbing softer. She lets out a sigh of relief and I help her slowly lay down. She lays down on my chest and I wrap her in my embrace. "Peeta." Katniss says. "Yes?" I reply. "Can you sing?" She smiles. "I just want to hear your voice." I nod my head and smile. "Is the Valley Song alright?" I ask her. She nods her head and closes her eyes.
•••
By the time I opened my eyes Katniss already had everything in order. Willow was dressed and everything was ready to go for the baby appointment today. I stretch and make my way towards the bathroom where Katniss was doing her hair. "Good morning handsome." Katniss says. "Good morning beautiful." I say back. "Ready for today?" I ask her. "I'm ready daddy!" Willow says in the door way. "You'll get to see your baby brother or sister today." I smile. "Oh yay!" Willow squeals. "Alright now little duck." Katniss starts. "Let's go do your hair and leave daddy to get ready." She says while guiding Willow out of the room.
•••
As we wait in the room for the doctor I can see a worried look on Katniss' face. I grab her hand and slowly guide my thumb up and down her hand. The doctor comes in and prepares to show us the image of our baby. "Look at that Willow." I say as I point to the little image of a baby. "That's your brother or sister." I smile. "Wow. Mommy is the baby still an embryo?" Willow asks. Before Katniss could answer the doctor answers before her. "No this little baby is no longer and embryo it's now technically a human." The doctor smiles. "How old are to sweetheart?" The doctor asks Willow. "I'm six!" Willow tells him. "Wow you are very smart for being so young!" The doctor says. "My teacher tells me I'm gifted." Willow states. "She said it's like a special talent that only some kids have." She states. "You are one special girl." The doctor smiles while rubbing her head. "Well Mr. And Mrs. Mellark your baby is perfectly healthy and should be here in a month or so. Katniss I would like you to take it easy and prepare for your birth." The doctor states. "Will do." Katniss smiles.
•••
"Peeta?" Katniss says while we lay in bed. "Yeah?" I ask. "I'm scared." She says I see her breath. "Shh. We'll be ok I promise. We'll get through this together." I state running my fingers through her hair.
•••