16| New Alliances

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

"Wait why do you sleep in the dog house again?" Pedro says through his laughter.

"Just shut up, okay" I shout, picking up a shoe and throwing it at him.

"No, but that shit is hilarious" he says. I shoot him another death glare.

"Alright, so we're going to pick up Gino first" he says.

We speed through the east side projects in Pedro's black Mercedes, blasting Kendrick Lamar. Pedro raps along to every verse and line. I lean back in my seat, enjoying the freedom of being Cole and Scarlet free.

"Dude, why does she get to sit shotgun" Gino says as he settles into the back seat."

Pedro huffs "Because she's cool and you're not."

"Yeah, she also almost got us killed the other day" He teases.

"Lets get things straight, I did not ask Pedro to take me outside, and I did not ask you to come along. So actually, you both almost got yourselves killed" I reply.

Gino, shakes his head "What's the deal with you and Cole anyway, are you fucking him?"

"No! Are you fucking him?" I snap at him.

Pedro teases "Haha, she got you there bro!"

"I don't swing that way" Gino frowns "but I mean, some girls are into that whole tortured love thing" He continues.

"Pedro scoffs "yeah right, she can't even get in the house."

"Pedro shut up!" I say in a warning tone.

"Wait, now you have to tell me! what do you mean she can't get in the house?" He asks, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

"Don't you dare!" I warn Pedro.

"Aye bro get this" he says already holding back laughter!

"You better not say it!" I shout.

"She-" he continues. I slap my hand over his mouth.

I shout over him "I will hurt you!"

He bites my hand and I rip it away in shock. "She sleeps in the dog house!" He blurts out!

"I hate you" my hands slap over my reddening cheeks.

"Wooooow, that's some scary shit!" Gino says. Then he and Pedro combust in laughter.

I huff and cross my arms over my chest. "We're just messing with you Ava, we get your struggle we're all stuck working for that guy"

"Whatever," I don't appreciate being made fun of.

We park in front of a Mexican bakery. "La Pandaria" the big yellow sign reads. Gino and Pedro excitedly rush toward the store. They swing the door open and I'm overtaken by the warm comforting smell of Latino baked goods. The aroma jogs my limbic system, I'm reminded of long forgotten parts of my childhood. The rare moments when my mother would try to be a decent parent, she would take us to Hispanic bakeries like these and allow us to get whatever sweets we wanted.

I eyeball the various pastries, cakes, churros, and breads on display. Pedro and Gino raid the aisles choosing a vast array of sweets.

The boys engage in a race back to the car. I marvel at how in touch they are with the essence of childhood. Just a couple of joyful gang boys.

We stop at a local restaurant so the guys can scarf down a large pile of Wings. Iv'e never been a fan.

"What type of person doesn't like wings!" Pedro exclaims.