2| Initiation

٥٥٥
Vote
Share
Comment
٥٥٥

He pulls out his phone and sets a timer. "Three minutes," he says as he puts it down. Then without warning, he lunges at me.

As fast as the little fly that I am, I somehow manage to dart out of his grasp, letting out a high pitched screech in the process. He chases me around the room his heavy feet pounding like a boulder rushing down a hill, but I'm too fast for him. His bulky muscles don't exactly make him limber.

Unfortunately, my stroke of luck starts to run out and I find myself growing tired and slow. My aching lungs strain for oxygen, and I dive under the bed for cover, big mistake. He grabs me by my feet and begins to drag me out. My desperate fingernails claw at the cold floors. This is the longest three minutes of my life!

Finally, getting a good grip on me he slams me into the wall with a satisfied grunt.

"You want to run from me, bitch?" He roars like a lion who's finally caught hold of his much-anticipated dinner. He brings his heavy hand down on my cheek, leaving my face sour and stinging with the impact.

"I'm sorry" I whimper , flinching away when he cocks his arm back. I close my eyes, waiting for the blow, but then the alarm rings.

Ding! ding! ding! ding! ding!

I've never been more happy to hear that sound.

Kai lets go of me and casually walks out of the room without saying a word. Maybe he isn't too talkative.

Next up is the bodybuilder. He does the same as the last guy, sets the timer and then says "three minutes".

I stare wide-eyed at him, wondering what would compel someone to exercise until they resemble a stack of rocks. I brace myself to run, but then he says "I'm not going to attack you, I'm supposed to torture you until you give up... but I won't".

Relief washes over me. "Thank god" I breathe out. He sits down on the bed and pinches the bridge of his nose. He looks frustrated, that makes the two of us.

"What are you doing trying to join a gang?" he shakes his head in disapproval.

"I- Umm... like I said before, family and money" my voice trembles. I struggle to regain composure. I fist and un-fist my warm sweaty hands. The thought hits me that if these people were to find out I'm a fraud I'd be dead in seconds.

"There are other ways to get money," he says "If you don't earn your ranks, you'll be just as broke as everyone else, and I'm telling you now, most girls don't get very far".

"I guess... I'm willing to take my chances" I shrug.

"You know once you're in that's it, if you ever try to leave and we find you, you're dead" he warns. He drags his finger across his bulky neck for dramatic effect. Before I can reply the alarm goes off.

I wait for what feels like an eternity. I know my next challenger will be Cole. I pace around the room, biting on the nail of my thumb. The thought of being alone with him sends chills down my back. He has a reputation for being ruthless and cruel, how could I not be nervous? Everyone in town knows what he's capable of. Seeing him earlier was nothing short of baffling to me. I felt like I was standing in the presence of a myth. Like I, Ava Rodriquez had single-handedly solved the mystery of bigfoot, and there he was standing before me. Unfortunately, It's not likely I'll live long enough to tell the tale.