Chapter 28

{Reader's POV}

The crimson lights flashed and dimmed the room to an eerie shade. The sirens were still ringing in the background and alerting the rest of the building of a possible threat.

Jamie and I stood only a few feet away from the numerous guards that pointed their guns at us. I bit down hard on my lip as I tried to control my trembling figure.

"(Y/N)?", Jamie whispered as his black orbs carefully scanned over the guards. I hummed in reply and instinctively clutched his shoulders as the guards began shooting at us.

I ducked behind the small, frail boy and waited patiently for the men to stop firing.

Much to their horror, Jamie wasn't affected at all by the bullets.

I let out a heavy sigh and watched as the bullets slid out of Jamie's body as his wounds instantly healed from the attack.

"Do you know your way around the building?", he asked without looking back at me. I shook my head and tightened my grip on Jamie's shoulders as the guards slowly began to creep towards us. Jamie let out a sigh and muttered, "Guess it can't be helped...", then he turned around and smiled, "Wait here for a sec!", he chirped.

One of the guards took advantage of Jamie's distracted form and decided to pounce on us. However, Jamie chuckled and turned back to stab his claws inside of the guard's chest.

I gasped at the scene and my eyes widened as Jamie's claws glinted in the red light.

The small, cute boy I rescued from Jack was no longer a vulnerable being anymore. His form was changing drastically and his once normal appearance turned grotesque and vile.

His eyes pitch-black, oozing with blood, mouth full of jagged, sharp teeth, rotting arms leading to lethal claws, and a new found love for bloodlust.

I quietly watched as the small child sunk his canines into the flesh of one of the guards. He bellowed in pain as Jamie chewed and tore off his skin. The other guards crowded around Jamie and tried to aim their guns once more to see if they could have the finishing blow.

But seeing as how they didn't learn from the first time, Jamie still trudged towards the guards as their bullets momentarily made him stagger in his path.

With one quick wave of his hand, Jamie beheaded one man and chewed off another's hand with his teeth. One by one, each man suffered from the intense pain the boy was inflicting on them or howled with disgust and horror as they stared at their missing limbs.

I gritted my teeth and forced my eyes shut as the screams of agony and fear echoed through the hallway. The strong smell of blood clung to the air and flooded my nostrils. I recoiled from the scene and briskly turned around as I hugged myself for comfort.

Death was everywhere.

In every corner, in every room, and in every person. Be it Jamie or not, there was always someone brutally murdering someone else. That's how my life has come to be, nothing more than gory instances of death.

"(Y/N)! Come on! We have to leave now before their reinforcements show up!", Jamie yelled over the cries of pain from the dying guards and I hesitantly stared back. With much reluctance, I glanced over all the bodies and carefully ran through them so as to not step on any bloody remains.