Chapter 8

{Reader's POV}

My sleepy, (E/C) eyes stared out at the window as the young Officer drove me home. Blurs of trees and buildings passed by and the quiet, soothing sound of the car running on the road seemed to lull me into a drowsy state.

I was beginning to lean on the window and, just as soon as I rested my eyes, the car suddenly began slowing down. I gazed out the window and noticed the familiar driveway and house that appeared in front of us. The Officer stopped the engine and I sluggishly looked around my driveway to find a black car already parked in the garage.

"Is that your boyfriend's car Miss?", the young Officer asked casually as he smiled at me. I flinched at his sudden question and a slight blush adorned my cheeks. I shook my head and placed my hand on the door handle. "My parents actually", I said and the man nodded his head politely. He soon got out of the car to help me with my luggage again, but this time my dad ran out the house and assisted him.

I smiled at him as I carried the clown's music box in my hands. Then my attention went to my mom as she walked out onto the porch with a pink apron on. "Sweetie, you're finally home!", she said with a loving smile as she stretched out her arms to hug me.

I started to move toward her, when I abruptly felt someone trip me. I gasped out loud and my mom hurriedly caught me in her arms. I furrowed my eyebrows and stared at the monochrome clown that briskly walked passed me with a wide grin. "I'm a sucker for happy reunions~", he mockingly said as he stepped inside my house, much to my worry.

"(Y/N)? Are you alright? You don't seem to be paying much attention..", my mom spoke with a troubled tone and gazed at my eyes as if they held the answer. "...I'm f..fine. Just a little tired is all." A sigh escaped my mom's lips and she shook her head guiltily.

"Of course..! Oh honey... Maybe you should go to your room and rest—"

"NO!", the words shot from my mouth and I gripped my mom's apron tightly. Her eyes widened and she held my hands in hers comfortingly before I shrugged them off. "I said I'm fine... I just—", I paused as my eyes trailed up to the window in my room, and as my gaze focused near the curtains, there I could see the familiar dark, lean figure of the monochrome clown.

He stared down at me with a pair of hungry eyes that glinted with lunacy.

"I just... Need to spend some time with you guys before you leave for Boston next week..!", I said cheerfully and earned a small smile from my mom.

A warm hand landed on my shoulder and I turned to look behind me to find my dad smiling too. "No need honey. It's Monday, we still have a whole week before we leave, get some rest, you need it", my dad said sternly and my mom nodded her head as he patted my shoulder. "B..But...", I tried protesting but my parents shook their heads 'no' and practically dragged me inside the house.

My feet landed right in front of the stairs that greeted you at the foyer. I stared up at the carpeted steps and breathed heavily as I remembered the rooms were situated upstairs—more specifically my room. My mom brushed her arm against mine and smiled lovingly as she nodded her head at the stairs.

I smiled sheepishly and returned the nod.

I let my hand rest on the thick, wooden railing and I clutched the music box with my other hand as I went up the stairs. I glumly stared down at the steps and my thoughts began to circle around the clown—or Jack as he had asked me to call him that.