Chapter 14

{Reader's POV}

"Sweetie... Where's the police?"

My mom briefly awoke from her deep slumber and curiously looked around the room. My dad soon followed and gave me the same look of confusion. I leaned against the wall and let out an exasperated sigh. "You don't remember? The officers left after realizing we had nothing to do with the broken cameras", I said and carefully watched my parents expression.

They both frowned and shook their heads vigorously as they stood up from the couch. "What? No! They were arresting you Honey!", my mom said worriedly and sparked the same reaction from my dad. "That's right! They found the music box and accused you of hiding evidence from the police!", he said angrily as he recalled the events from before.

I shook my head and chuckled lightly. "Mom, dad, are you sure you're both alright? You two didn't hit you heads while I was cleaning did you?", I replied with a small smile and walked over to my parents. They looked at each other and stared in awe at what I had just said.

"What..?", my mom mumbled under her breath as she gazed at my smile. I shrugged my shoulders and gave them one last sigh before explaining myself. "I swear! Nobody was arresting anybody. You must have dreamt that part after taking a well-deserved nap from your long day of packing", I paused and gave my dad a pat on the back to ease his tensed shoulders.

"Must have been the stress, you are leaving tomorrow", I said with high spirits and earned a sigh from my mom. "That's right... We are leaving tomorrow. How could I forget?", she said as she shook her head with an embarrassed smile. My dad knitted his eyebrows, but after gradually losing interest, he shrugged his shoulders and joined my mom on the couch. "You're right, guess it was all just a dream", he said and his reaction sent a smile on my face.

"Yup!", I replied and sat down with them to ease the last of their nerves.

I looked around the living room and let my eyes gaze around the clean carpet. Every nicknack and furniture was stain-free and blood no longer dripped from the ivory walls. The grotesque smell of that coppery liquid ceased to cling to the air anymore and I looked perfectly fine.

"Yeah... Just a dream."

* * *

I let out a sigh and turned off the lights of the living room and kitchen. The plasma tv was left on and the extremely low volume of the shows appearing on the screen lulled my parents to another deep sleep. They breathed softly on the couch and curled up under the bed sheets as I gazed at them from where I stood.

Their sleeping forms reminded me of how they blacked-out during Jack's relentless killings from earlier. He used up most of his energy conjuring up magic that could erase all the blood and dead bodies from existence, and now he was lazily lying on my bed.

I let him rest for a while before I decided to come up and check on him. I also had to wait until I convinced my parents nothing had happened after they lost consciousness. Now the only thing I feared were more police officers coming to my house in search of their fallen comrades.... More specifically their Chief of Police, Officer Stan.

I shivered as I recalled the dreaded man's name and winced at the memory of him arresting me.

As I walked up the stairs, my mind kept flashing back to where I felt everything was going to go to hell. I was so vulnerable and weak that Jack had to clean up the mess. Honestly, I was only a nuisance to him...

Letting out another heavy sigh, I opened the door to my room and quietly stepped inside. A breeze nipped at my skin and I hurriedly hugged myself as I looked around to see what was letting in the cold air from outside. To my surprise, I found Jack laying near the window and staring outside with a bored expression.