Chapter 21

{A week after Stan's death}

Dark, grey clouds filled the sky and cast a gloomy shadow over the city.

Gabriel wrapped a wooly, brown scarf around his neck as he fought against the icy breeze that stung his face. He dug his thick mittens into the pockets of his gray trench coat and strolled down the sidewalk, looking for a dark-skinned man with a scar on his left eyebrow.

"Where is he..?", Gabriel muttered as he stepped inside the café where they were supposed to meet ten minutes ago.

"Over here pretty boy", a deep, orotund voice spoke out from the back and caught Gabriel's attention.

The lean brunette made his way toward the table and and extended his hand politely, "Thanks for coming." The dark-skinned man nodded his head and shook his hand, "Anything for my partner's son", he smiled.

Gabriel returned the jester with a smile of his own as he sat down across from him.

"I heard from a friend of mine that you visited the woman a few days ago... Heh, how'd that go?", the man mused as he drunk from his black coffee.

"It was... Interesting."

The bulky Officer burst out laughing and slammed his palm against the table. Gabriel shrunk in embarrassment as the other customers looked in their direction.

"Easy, Jamal..! It's damn quiet in here..", Gabriel hissed.

"Aha..! Gabriel, you're just as stiff as your old man!", he jibed as he let out a few chuckles. Gabriel shook his head and frowned at the man, "How did you know about that? Don't tell me you're spying on me", he pressed.

Jamal smirked and drunk the last ounces of coffee left in his cup, "No, we weren't spying on you", he corrected. Gabriel furrowed his eyebrows and leaned back in his seat, "I thought the police gave up on the investigation", he asked frankly.

Jamal shook his head and flagged down a waitress for more black coffee. "Gabriel, you think I liked seeing your father like that?", the dark-skinned officer retorted, "We're still hanging onto the woman to see if something happens, anything really."

Gabriel nodded his head understandingly and sipped a little from his iced tea.

"I wasn't fond of the pictures they took of my dad either", he grumbled after setting down his cup, "but, without my dad's knowledge of the case we can't do anything about it", Gabriel solemnly finished.

"You're father ain't here, but I still remember what he was after", Jamal interjected as he leaned in closer, "He wasn't just after the woman... he wanted her music box."

Gabriel's eyes widened and he furrowed his eyebrows, "A... Music box..?", he muttered. Jamal nodded his head and stared straight into the brunette's eyes.

"I trusted your father with my life... But, I knew him well too. And sometimes he would lose his judgment and act on instinct..", the officer scratched the eyebrow with the scar and sighed, "I'm sure that's what got em' killed... But, if you're willing to take this case with caution and patience, then I'll tell you everything."

Gabriel stayed quiet and peered into the man's dark eyes for any signs of deceit. "You have my word", Gabriel nodded his head as he spoke.

Jamal smiled and motioned for him to come closer, "Stan told me once that, the music box the woman keeps with her at all times, belongs to the killer. Take the box, and you got yourself a murderer under cuffs."