Chapter 13

{Reader's POV}

"Officer Stan are you sure that could help the case? It's only a present from Jamie's parents", my father's inquisitive voice echoed through the room as the crazed officer held the music box in his hand.

His fingers tightened around the adorable heirloom and with the way he held it so possessively, angered me. "Oh Mr. (L/N), this is indeed all we need to catch the murderer. You see, this actually belongs to him. It's only a matter of time before he comes to reclaim it."

Silence clung to the air as my parents' eyes widened. My father features contorted to anger as he held my mother close to his chest. They turned their attention to me with a questioning frown. I winced at their expressions and shrunk back in fear as I watched the horrid scene unfold in front me, wishing this was only a dream.

Officer Stan noticed the tension in the air and began to chuckle as he placed the music box in a bag marked 'evidence'.

"Well, now that I have what I came for, it's time for us to apprehend our only witness...", the officer ankles warmly as he nodded his head to the other men. "Miss. (L/N), you're coming with me." They obediently marched towards me and, as I stumbled back in horror, an officer roughly grabbed onto my arms and snapped a pair of handcuffs on me.

My parents, appalled by their actions ran to my side. They surrounded me defensively and my father glared at Officer Stan. "What the hell is going on?! My daughter has done NOTHING wrong! Take these damn handcuffs off her and get out of our house!!" The officer snickered at my father and shook his head, amused by the outcome.

"You dare question the city's law enforcement? My my sir, this is a serious offense if you decide to go against a Chief's direct order", Officer Stan said with a twisted smile. My father sizzled at the man's response and glared daggers at him. Reluctantly, both my parents shamefully left my side and averted their gazed. "Don't worry Honey, we'll pay the bail as soon as we can..", my mother said glumly as she clutched my father's arm.

My eyes widened like saucers as tears mindlessly slipped down my cheeks. I gawked at the smile Officer Stan held and noticing the monstrous expression on his face, I dropped to my knees and hanged my head in defeat. I gritted my teeth as Jack's face flashed inside my head... his smile, I wouldn't be able to see it anymore..

"Stan, its late. We should head off now for the jail before it gets too dark", an officer spoke from beside me and nodded his head toward the door. Officer Stan nodded his head and took one last look at the music box before making his way to us.

At the moment it seemed like everything could crumble to pieces right now. I felt like the only ounces of hope I had left were already sipping from my grasp... That is, until a heard a familiar melody playing...

Officer Stan and everybody else looked around the room as that childish song played over and over like a broken record player. My parents eyes scanned over the couches and as soon as the song hit it's climax, my parents dropped to the floor and lost consciousness. The officers stared in awe as their sleeping figures unnerved us all.

Then, in the corner of my eye, I watched as Officer Stan dropped the music box. My jaw hung open as I raised my head and stared up at the Officer. His brown eyes widened as he pinned his stare at the wall behind us. The officer's shoulders tensed up and he suddenly frowned at all us as if he were confused.

I raised an eyebrow and along with the other officers, we looked behind us to see whatever it was that caught his attention. The only one who could actually see what caused the Officer's sudden reaction, was me.

It was him. It was Laughing Jack.

"AAHHH!!", Officer Stan finally broke and stumbled back in fearful amazement. He tripped on his steps and fell to the floor as his gaze peered at the incredulous sight before him. He trembled and gripped the music box to his chest in utter horror. My eyes lit up and a smile adorned my face as I realized what had happened.