Chapter 12

{Reader's POV}

Twisting and turning all night left me without sleep in the morning.

The birds were chirping, the wind was blowing silently against the trees, and my room held the same quietness it's had ever since I moved here.

My sluggish body argued with me to stay in bed and rest some more, but as the beeping of my alarm clock echoed in my ears I knew I had to get up and go to work.

Lucky for me, the company I applied to accepted me the day after my interview. I would have told my parents and celebrated yesterday, but I forgot and by the time I remembered, a certain clown of monochrome forced a kiss on me.

Ah, the kiss.

As I leaned against my closet door and gazed down at my heels, Jack's pale face appeared in my head. With just remembering him, the moment when he kissed me flashed before my eyes. I just couldn't forget how he caressed my thighs and moved his plump lips against mine. The memory kept me awake and I swear I could still feel my blush during the whole night.

He was so rough during the kiss but gentle at the same time. It was odd. I've never been kissed like that before and just thinking about running into him this morning left me feeling mortified!

Letting out a brief sigh, I shook my head and walked out of my room. Dressed and ready to head off into a day full of chaos and paperwork, I held my chin up high and tried to ease the new blush on my cheeks.

I gripped the hand railing and set foot on the first step, but a familiar voice whispered in my ear and left me stunned. "Gumdrop", he said sternly as he wrapped a clawed hand around my waist. I almost jumped at his touch and if it wasn't for the serious expression on his face I would have protested. "What's is it?" I asked as I took another look down the stairs.

My eyes trailed to the bottom of the stairs and searched for any suspicious figures. But as multiple pairs of men's dress shoes came into my field of vision, my blood ran cold.

"The cop's back and he brought some of his friends", Jack said angrily as he tightened his grip on my waist. I bit my lip and turned to look at Jack.

He held a sinister grin as his dark eyes scanned over the dress shoes. "Jack, do you remember where I left your music box? Last night left me shaken up so I didn't pay attention to where I left it", my words reached Jack's ears and he suddenly perked up. His lips curled into a mischievous smile and he chuckled as he grabbed my hand.

"Shaken up? Hehe.. You mean you didn't like it?" My eyes widened and I quickly began to shake my head. "No! I did! Uh, No! That's not what I meant! Uhhh, it's just..!", Jack chuckled again and took his hand off my waist. He grinned at me before leaning against the wall behind us. "Calm down, I have an idea. Just go down there and see what they want."

Jack winked at me before his body suddenly disappeared in a cloud of smoke. I stood there gawking like an idiot, until I looked down and noticed a lollipop. I knitted my eyebrows and bent down to get it.

Just by examining the wrapper, I could tell this was one of Jack's candies. On the side it had a note attached to it, saying "eat me~!".

I shook my head and smiled as I unfolded the wrapper. Once the red lolly touched my tongue, a flavor exploded in my mouth and danced around pleasantly. The candy was absolutely delicious and instantly made my nerves disappear.

"Honey? What are you doing?"

I swiftly turned around and noticed my mom at the bottom of the stairs with Officer Stan at her side. My heart began to pound in my chest again and I almost bit down on the candy. "Oh! Uh... Looking for my keys? But I found them so it's okay..!", I scratched my neck nervously and walked down the remaining steps.