Chapter 7

{Reader's POV}

"Miss (L/N), now that your injuries have healed, the task force and I have decided that it's high time you go back home."

The officer with sandy, brunette hair stood next to my bed as I held the music box in my hands. I radiated a warm smile and nodded my head, delighted by his words. "That's wonderful, Stan... What's the catch?", I said and caused the officer to tense up in his position. He chuckled at my worried response and struck suspicion in me.

"Well, as you know, we still haven't caught the criminal at large yet and you're still in danger... With that being said we've made arrangements to put surveillance cameras on your street. That and we've taken the liberty of installing an "emergency button" in your house."

I stared wide eyed at Officer Stan and gripped the box in my hands more tightly. My eyebrows began to twitch and it took every fiber of my being to not shout angrily at this man. "Well... At least you hadn't decided to install cameras INSIDE my house. That would have been ludicrous! Ahaha...", I replied, conscious of my foul mood I was trying so hard to disguise.

Officer Stan noticed the high pitch in my voice and—me not being a very good liar—he let out a heavy sigh, aware of my displeasure. "You may not think this is necessary, but it is Miss (L/N). We simply cannot allow a slip-up. We promise to apprehend this murderer and bring you back to your normal life. I swear it on my badge." The officer's words left me speechless.

He held so much ambitious and determination in his words that for a split second I actually believed him. However, as I stared down at the music box I held so tightly in my hands, I knew his vows were in vain.

There was no stoping him.

From my encounter with the monochrome clown last night, I knew that all too well. From the very start I knew something was wrong about this whole ordeal... That something wasn't fitting in with the big picture. This clown... He wasn't human or merciful.

He was... I don't know what he is to be honest.

"Alright Stan... I believe you. I have full trust that you'll save me from him. I know you can do it."

With that a roar of laughter exploded in the room.

I lowered my head and felt the corner of my lips twitching. I was trying to suppress my defeat as the clown cackled inside the hotel room. Of course, the Officer hadn't heard his mocking laughter or noticed the pained look on my face. "That's right. Put your faith in me and you won't regret it... Now! I say we should celebrate, hm? I'll bring a bottle of the finest wine to your room and call all the officers to come and join us!", the Officer boasted loudly and with a lively spring in his step, he left the room.

I let out a heavy sigh and out of the corner of my eye I stared at the door and its bleakness. Then my attention went back to gazing at the horrific, beautiful object that laid in between my (S/C) hands.

"What a load of bull crap! Hahaha!!!", the clown rose from his seat and proudly strutted toward the window to no doubtfully watch the Officer ride off in high spirits. The clown stuck out his tongue and used one of his claws to pull down one of his lower eyelids to taunt the man.

If he wasn't a psychotic murderer I would have laughed at his childish antics.

"Wait until I stuff that saggy chest of yours with my finest lollipops! Teehee!~", the clown mumbled his sinister plans under his breath and pressed his claws up against the window with a gleeful smile. I shook my head and gazed down at the music box. I still couldn't believe I had found this thing to be lovely.

"Hey. Why are you making that face?" A half-angry voice echoed through the room and as I raised my head I noticed a frown on the clown's pale face. I gazed at him and wondered why on earth he only wore black and white. "Oh... I'm sorry, I was just thinking about something." The clown withdrew from leaning on the window to fix his posture.