*

Mitch had been awake the entire time, luckily only barely conscious when they were waiting for the ambulances.

He listened to Kirstie call the police, but fell into unconsciousness shortly after.

And now he sat on his bed, eating the Jell-o he'd been offered. Each time a nurse came in, he'd ask if Scott was out of surgery. And then he'd ask if everyone was okay.

Kevin finished all his phone calls, and then promised Mitch he'd go find out how the others were doing.

When he came back, he reported quickly what was going on, and then sat beside Mitch. "How are you feeling? Sounds to me like they're just waiting on results before sending you home."

"I just wish I knew how Scott was doing."

"He's a strong boy, Mitch. There's not much that life can throw at him that he won't be able to handle."

"I know... But still."

"I understand. I can go bother the nurses for more information if you'd like."

*

Scott didn't come out of surgery until the entire rest of the group had been released from the hospital.

Kevin brought changes of clothes for everyone, as they now sat in the waiting room.

Avi was completely beside himself, pacing the entire room for a good half hour while Mitch just sat still with his head in his hands.

Alex put a hand on Mitch's back. "I'm sure he'll be out any minute now."

Mitch suddenly looked up at Kirstie across from him. "You were awake the whole time. Did you see anything? Where was he hurt?"

She looked down at the ground. "I think... His arms maybe? And... Possibly his stomach... I think he was bleeding pretty bad..."

Mitch immediately dropped his head back into his hands. "Fuck..."

A doctor began to walk toward them, though none of them saw him until he stood in the center of the waiting room. "Scott Hoying's family?"

Mitch flew out of his seat, but Avi was there first with a sharp glare at the doctor. "Is he okay?"

The doctor gave him a tired smile. "Yes, we were able to stabilize--"

Mitch couldn't help himself. "Can I see him?" He took a step back. "Sorry... Rude..."

"Unfortunately he needs his rest for right now. I might be able to let one of you go in, but for a very very short time."

Avi and Mitch made eye contact, but Avi shook his head. "Go on, Kid. Tell me everything when you get back."

The doctor nodded at Avi once. "I'll be right back to discuss his condition further with you."

Mitch followed him closely until he gestured to one of the rooms. "Please keep your voice down when you speak to him, and remember this is for a very very short time."

Mitch nodded quickly, opening the door slowly as he peeked his head into the room. "Scottie? Baby?"

Scott's head rolled slowly to look at him, and he tried to hold a hand out toward him although he couldn't lift it very high. 

Mitch rushed over to him, grabbing Scott's hand with both of his own as he scanned Scott's body to see what he was working with. "Hi, honey... How are you feeling?"

Scott just squeezed his hand once. "Tired..."

"I know, baby. And... And they're gonna let you sleep in a minute or two here. I just wanted to come see how you were doing before you fall asleep."

Scott's eyes never left Mitch's. "You... Okay? Avi?"

"Everyone's fine, baby. Alex, Kirstie and I are only suffering a few bruises and stuff. And... Avi got stitches on his arm somewhere, but... Everyone's okay."

Scott exhaled softly, and then took his time retrieving another breath to speak with. "Good... Worried."

"Okay, well... You need to put all that worry into healing yourself, okay? Nobody needs your help more than you do right now."

Scott tried to nod, but it was hardly a movement at all. "Arm...?"

Mitch glanced at Scott's other arm with a frown. "Looks broken, honey... Kirstie told Kevin the story when they thought I was sleeping, and, uh..." He looked down at Scott's healthy arm. "Looks like your dumb, blonde, self tried to 'Mom' me, and put your arm out to keep me from hitting the dashboard."

Scott continued to stare at him. "Not dumb..."

"I guess not, considering I'm alive and well. I wish you wouldn't have broken your arm over it though. Does anything else hurt?"

"Well... My head did a little bit ago." He spoke slowly, as if he could fall asleep any second. "But looking at someone as gorgeous as you are is nice and easy on the eyes."

Mitch couldn't help but let his eyes fill with tears. "Even when you're in this condition, you can't help but make me feel special."

"Full time job... No breaks or holidays or sick days or--"

"Alright, you goof. I'm gonna go get everyone something to eat, and I'll be back here the moment you wake up. Okay?"

Scott squeezed his hand with a frown. "Don't go... Please?"

"Baby, the doctor is gonna kick me out of here any second."

"Kiss."

Mitch didn't hesitate, leaning down to kiss him, but he gasped and stood back up. "Wait, Kirstie told me you were bleeding. Is your stomach okay? Or... Or was something else bleeding?"

Scott tried to shrug, but that didn't go so well either. "Don't know..."

"I assumed you were in surgery for your arm. Maybe that's what was bleeding..."

Scott started blinking a little slower. "Mitchie..?"

"Yes, honey?"

"Hold my hand until I fall asleep?" He swallowed roughly, cringing as he did so because it hurt. "Please?"

Mitch leaned down to kiss Scott's arm, holding his hand with both of his own still. "I'm right here, baby... And I'll be right here when you wake up again."

Scott let his eyes close, and his breathing evened out again. "Love you."

"I love you too, baby. I love you so much." Mitch then stared at him, holding his hand tightly until Scott's grip loosened a little, and Mitch knew he fell asleep. 

Mitch sniffled a little with the tears falling down his face, and leaned down to kiss Scott's forehead before he left.

**