Chapter 1: April

I was on my way home from Sam's house. I just spent the weekend over by her. Which was really fun to be honest, even though she's kinda loud, but she has a sweet heart. I'm glad we're best friends. It was Sunday evening as I was walking home, I was probably two blocks from Sam's house when my phone rang. I pulled it out my back pocket and read the contact name "Sammy" I laughed at the name I put  as her contact name. I pressed the answer button and what I heard almost made me drop my phone.

"APRILLLLLLLLL!" Samantha yelled into the phone. I pulled the phone away really quickly. Dang. She sure is loud.
"Yes Sam?" I said a little annoyed but quickly laughed after I heard her wimped like a little puppy.
"Wanna come to my house?" She asked happily, I can sense the smile on her face.
"Um Sam I just came from your house, you know that right?"
"Sooooooooo is that a yes?" I shook my head, realizing she can't see me. This girl was something else you know. I only met her in 9th grade and we hung out the whole summer. In about a week we were gonna be sophomores. I was glad, a few more years and I'm off playing college basketball or any other sport I'm pretty good at. Of course Samantha was nervous, she wasn't ready to grow up. And in a way I wasn't ready either but we all need to grow up, eventually. I was closer to home, as I was walking I saw my Dad's car there. Great. I thought, that meant he must've cook, I was kinda hungry. I should've ate before I left Sam's but oh well. Sam was on the phone talking what she wanted to wear for the first day of school, all I heard was something about matching outfits. As I walked to the front door I took out my key and opened it. When I walked in I saw my dad. I walked closer, now in the living room. He was.. crying. I dropped the phone, not even realizing Sam was still on the line.
"Dad.. why are.. daddy, what's wrong?" I was now on the floor with him. I scooped his face until my hands and I stared at him. His eyes are red and puffy like he's been crying for hours. I hear him clear his throat and what he says next honestly makes me feel cold.
"Maya is dead.." Maya.. my mother.. his wife.. is dead.
I stare at him.. I don't know if I couldn't understand what he said, but I did. My mother is dead. I look at him and everything feels cold and dark.
I pass out right there on the floor and the last thing I heard was Sam calling me..
"Hey April.. are you even listening?"